Punjab orders discarded furniture’s removal from secretariatAugust 24th, 2012 - 10:04 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, Aug 24 (IANS) The corridors of power in the Punjab civil secretariat would soon be decluttered.
The Punjab government Friday issued orders to remove discarded furniture lying in the corridors of the massive secretariat building in Sector 1 here.
The orders followed recommendations of a committee the government set up to check inflammable goods in the building. It pointed out that broken and cast away furniture was blocking the corridors and this could be dangerous if a fire broke out in the building.
Officials at the secretariat admitted that the condemned and waste furniture had been lying in the corridors for years.
The chief fire officer, Mohali, conducted a check at the secretariat recently and noticed that most of the exit areas in the corridors were choked with unused and cast away furniture.
He said that the discarded furniture could cause a big hurdle during rescue operations in emergency situations, a spokesman of the general administration added.
- Furniture worth lakhs gutted in Chandigarh fire - May 15, 2012
- Chandigarh wakes up to save lost heritage (With Images) - May 09, 2011
- Chavan, Bhujbal inspect fire-ravaged Mantralaya - Jun 23, 2012
- Mend land policy to push realty, infrastructure (Comment) - Aug 19, 2012
- Smoke and debris: Gutted shoe factory still hot - Apr 29, 2011
- UP orders digitization of government records - Jul 04, 2012
- Fire in Punjab chemical factory - May 22, 2011
- Some tips on how to declutter your home - Oct 21, 2010
- Chandigarh to shine bright at night (With image) - Jul 31, 2011
- Two killed, 16 injured in Mantralaya fire (Intro Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 22, 2012
- Fire-hit Bangalore building had 1,000 litres of diesel (Lead) - Feb 24, 2010
- 16 injured in Mantralaya fire, blaze under control (Night Lead) (With images) - Jun 21, 2012
- Pine needles fuel business for Himachal villagers - Jul 05, 2012
- Fire in Punjab bank - Oct 24, 2010
- Discarded X-mas cards can fuel 20 moon trips! - Dec 26, 2011
Tags: building officials, cast away, chandigarh, chief fire officer, civil secretariat, corridors of power, emergency situations, furniture, general administration, hurdle, punjab government, rescue operations, secretariat, sector 1, spokesman