Punjab moves to record procurement of wheatApril 28th, 2008 - 9:01 pm ICT by admin
Chandigarh, April 28 (IANS) The Punjab government has released a payment of over Rs.60 billion ($1.5 billion) to farmers in the state as the wheat procurement this season touched the seven million-tonne mark till Sunday evening. “The government agencies are ensuring payment to farmers within 48 hours of lifting their wheat. Procurement of wheat in 1,615 procurement centres of Punjab touched the 7 million-tonne mark Sunday,” a state government spokesman said here Monday.
The wheat procurement this year - targeted at 8 million tonnes earlier - is likely to cross that figure as Punjab heads for a record wheat production.
Over 97 percent of the procurement has been done by the government agencies for the central wheat pool.
The state government has set aside Rs.111.76 billion for a hassle-free procurement process this season. Of this, Rs.80 billion was placed at the disposal of the state’s food and supplies department alone.
Six government agencies - Food Corp of India (FCI) from the central government and five others from the state government - are engaged in the procurement process.
Of the nearly 6.97 million tonnes wheat procured till Sunday evening, 6.81 tonnes have been procured by government agencies and the rest by private millers.
While the Punjab government’s Markfed procured nearly 24 percent of the wheat, the FCI procured 10.5 percent.
The spokesman said Sangrur district with 852,363 tonnes of wheat was leading in procurement operations while Ferozepur district with 839,241 tonnes and Patiala district with 763,358 tonnes of procurement ranked second and third respectively.
- Punjab procures 110.50 lakh tonnes wheat - Jun 02, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana head for bumper wheat crop - May 11, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana make it a wheat bumper crop season - May 17, 2011
- Punjab, Haryana near 150 lakh tonne wheat procurement-mark - May 02, 2011
- Haryana farmers get Rs.10,697 crore for procured wheat - May 13, 2012
- Punjab procures nearly 103 lakh tonnes wheat - May 09, 2011
- Over 4.5 mn tonne paddy procured in Punjab - Oct 18, 2010
- Punjab procures 110 lakh tonnes of wheat - May 26, 2011
- With bumper wheat crop, Punjab farmers rich by Rs.14,110 crore - May 11, 2012
- 100 lakh tonnes of wheat procured in Punjab, Haryana - Apr 26, 2011
- Where to stock bumper harvest? Punjab, Haryana in quandary - May 17, 2012
- Assam farmers losing interest in rice cultivation - Mar 15, 2012
- Punjab, Haryana procure over 150 lakh tonnes wheat - May 01, 2012
- Punjab wheat procurement crosses 10 mn tonnes - Apr 30, 2009
- Punjab, Haryana wheat procurement to start Friday - Mar 31, 2011
Tags: central government, farmers, fci, food corp, government agencies, government spokesman, hassle, India, millers, procurement operations, punjab government, state government, sunday evening, tonnes, wheat pool, wheat production