Puerto Rico to have Caribbean’s largest solar projectOctober 7th, 2011 - 11:48 am ICT by IANS
San Juan, Oct 7 (IANS/EFE) Puerto Rican Gov. Luis Fortuno announced Thursday that a $98 million solar-energy project - the largest ever in the Caribbean region - will be built on the island.
AES Ilumina’s 24 MW solar facility, which will create 200 jobs during the construction phase, is to be installed on a property near the southern town of Guayama that was acquired from the state-run Puerto Rico Industrial Development Company.
Fortuno said that he expects the privately financed facility to begin producing solar energy next summer and that it will be capable of meeting the energy needs of 6,500 households.
The goal in building the utility-scale solar photovoltaic plant is to reduce the US commonwealth’s dependence on fossil fuels, the governor said.
“With the vision of promoting the development of a green Puerto Rico and lessen our dependence on oil, we’ve strived to create a climate that encourages the real diversification of our energy sources,” he added.
The project is the first to benefit from a renewable energy incentives law that Fortuno signed July 19, 2010.
The governor said the project to be carried out by AES Ilumina - a unit of AES Solar, which is a joint venture between AES Corporation and Riverstone Holdings - is the first of seven renewable energy projects in Puerto Rico that are scheduled to get off the ground between this year and 2012.
- Puerto Ricans reject constitutional changes - Aug 21, 2012
- Crime statistics won't be fudged: Puerto Rico top cop - May 17, 2012
- Puerto Rico mulls curfew in response to crime wave - May 21, 2011
- Roberto Duran bio-pic to begin filming in June - Apr 03, 2012
- Puerto Rican held for killing two in US - Aug 17, 2012
- Masked robbers strike at Puerto Rico casino - Sep 17, 2011
- Puerto Rico senator resigns over nude photos - Aug 30, 2011
- Ricky Martin to promote Puerto Rico tourism on world tour - Mar 15, 2011
- Cheo Feliciano to join Dominican singer for his new album - Jul 07, 2011
- Spanish couple wins Puerto Rico Salsa Congress - Aug 01, 2011
- Spanish firm plans $615 mn solar energy project in Chile - May 17, 2012
- Enrique Iglesias's new album goes double platinum - Feb 09, 2011
- Three die in Puerto Rico nursing home fire - Sep 05, 2012
- Wisin, Yandel hope for P.Diddy collaboration on new disc - Aug 17, 2011
- U.S. House passes HR2499 - Puerto Rico Democracy Act - Apr 30, 2010
Tags: aes, caribbean region, construction phase, dependence on fossil fuels, dependence on oil, diversification, efe, energy sources, guayama, ilumina, luis fortuno, oct 7, photovoltaic plant, puerto rican gov, renewable energy incentives, renewable energy projects, riverstone holdings, solar energy project, solar facility, solar project