Public sector insurance employees to strike workDecember 22nd, 2008 - 11:04 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Dec 22 (IANS) Around 150,000 public sector insurance employees will strike work Tuesday, protesting against the government’s move to amend the Insurance Act and the General Insurance Business (Nationalisation) Act.The government amid strong protest by the Left parties Monday tabled the Insurance Laws (Amendment) Bill in the Rajya Sabha and the Life Insurance Corporation Act in the Lok Sabha.
The amendments propose to increase the foreign direct investment (FDI) to 49 percent from 26 percent and also Life Insurance Corp of India’s capital to Rs.1 billion from the present Rs.50 million.
According to J. Gurumurthy, secretary of All India Insurance Employees’ Association, “If the country is less affected by the global economic crisis, it is because of our strong public sector banks and insurance sector.”
He asked why the government was rasing the FDI cap in Indian companies at a time when many insurance companies were being nationalised overseas owing to the global meltdown.
- Unions oppose FDI increase in public insurance companies - Dec 08, 2008
- Reliance Life Insurance in talk with banks for tie-up - Aug 19, 2012
- FDI limit in insurance sector to be raised - Feb 28, 2011
- It is a status quo budget with routine announcements: Insurance sector (Lead) - Mar 16, 2012
- PSU general insurance employees upbeat about wage hike - May 06, 2010
- Over 1,700 insurance employees strike work in northeast - Dec 23, 2008
- Wage talks fail to to break insurance sector stalemate - May 10, 2010
- Public non-life insurers' employees to strike - Mar 25, 2010
- Nothing new for insurance sector: Experts - Feb 28, 2011
- Reliance Capital gets regulator's nod to sell stakes to Nippon Life - Jun 13, 2012
- Government seeks asset valuer to sell Tyre Corporation of India - Apr 20, 2012
- Pranab calls for private-public partnership in insurance - Feb 06, 2011
- Wage revision talks Tuesday with insurance unions - Dec 21, 2009
- 24 percent cap on FDI by international airlines proposed - Nov 17, 2011
- Indian insurers asked to spread wings abroad - Jul 06, 2012