Public sector banks’ NPAs rise to 2.31 percentAugust 16th, 2011 - 7:44 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 16 (IANS) Non-performing assets (NPAs) of government-run banks rose to 2.31 percent as on March 31, 2011, as compared to 2.27 percent in the previous year, led by a sharp increase in the bad loans of the State Bank group, Minister of State for Finance Namo Narain Meena said Tuesday.
Total non-performing assets, loans on which interest payments or repayments are not being made on time, of the public sector banks rose to Rs.71,047 crore by the end of 2010-11 as compared to Rs.57,301 crore as on March 31, 2010, Meena said in written reply to a question in the Rajya Sabha.
For the State Bank of India, the country’s largest lender, non-performing assets rose to 3.48 percent of its gross advances in the year under review from 3.28 percent in the previous year. The SBI Group non-performing assets rose to 3.12 percent from 2.82 percent.
While there has been an increase in the gross NPAs in absolute terms, Meena said growth in NPAs recorded in 2010-11 at 24 percent was lower than the increase of 30.1 percent in the previous year.
Minister said the pubic sector lenders in consultation with the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) had taken a number of steps to bring down the non-performing assets.
The measures undertaken by the banks to improve asset quality include prescribing prudential norms for provisioning and classification of NPAs, guidelines for prevention of slippages, corporate debt restructuring and other restructuring schemes and one time settlement schemes.
- HDFC Bank Q4 profit up 30 percent - Apr 18, 2012
- Axis Bank profit soars 33 percent in Q4 - Apr 22, 2011
- SBI profit more than doubles to Rs.3,751.56 crore - Aug 10, 2012
- HDFC Bank third quarter net profit up 31.2 percent - Jan 19, 2012
- Public sector bank's non-performing assets not alarming: FM (Roundup) - Aug 18, 2012
- Pranab asks banks to improve asset quality - Jun 17, 2011
- Pranab asks banks to reduce non-performing assets - Jun 12, 2012
- SBI net profit rises 14 percent at Rs.2,828 crore - Jan 22, 2011
- Axis Bank's net profit up 25.18 percent - Oct 22, 2011
- SBI to approach Moody's for review and re-rating - May 18, 2012
- ICICI Bank quarterly net profit up 44 percent - Apr 28, 2011
- Huge jump in Indian Bank's NPA - May 11, 2012
- HDFC Bank net profit up 31.48 percent - Oct 19, 2011
- HDFC Bank profit soars 33 percent in fourth quarter - Apr 18, 2011
- Public sector bank's non-performing assets not alarming: FM - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: absolute terms, asset quality, bank group, bank of india, corporate debt restructuring, crore, gross advances, interest payments, meena, minister of state, namo, narain, non performing assets, prudential norms, public sector banks, rajya sabha, reserve bank of india, settlement schemes, state bank, state bank of india