Public sector bank employees on strike across IndiaAugust 20th, 2008 - 3:35 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 20 (IANS) Work has come to a complete standstill at all state-owned banks here except State Bank of India (SBI) following a one-day token strike Wednesday called by Left trade unions.”We have organised this one-day token strike to protest against the privatisation, foreignisation and merger and consolidation of public sector banks,” said Rajen Nagar, national president of All-India Bank Employees’ Association (AIBEA), a Left-affiliated trade union, which has called the strike.
The AIBEA has a membership of around 500,000. Apart from those of public sector banks, employees of regional rural banks and cooperative banks are also participating in the strike.
They are also protesting against what the trade unions call the “pro-big capital” banking policy.
“The strike is on in a big way,” Nagar confirmed.
The AIBEA has made a slew of demands such as making banking policies pro-people; increasing credit to the priority sector including to agriculture, small and marginal enterprises, self-employment generation schemes and small borrowers; nationalising private sector banks and allowing expansion of public sector banks.
“We want more banks in areas where there is a dearth of banking facilities,” Nagar added.
This strike comes barely two days after officers of the country’s largest bank SBI and its associate banks went on a strike to protest against the merger of SBI and the State Bank of Saurashtra.
In West Bengal, employees of all 27 state-owned banks except SBI are participating in the strike, Nagar said.
- Bank employees to strike on Sept 7 over private banks getting new licences - Aug 31, 2010
- Bank employees across India go on strike - Dec 16, 2009
- Bank-strike disturbs services all over the country - Dec 16, 2009
- Nationwide bank strike affects bank operations - Dec 16, 2009
- Bank staff in nationwide strike but people able to draw money (Lead) - Dec 16, 2009
- Bank strike hits financial sector in India (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Indian bank staff strike work but people able to draw money (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2009
- Strike paralyses parts of India (Afternoon Lead) - Sep 07, 2010
- Banking sector bears brunt of strike - Feb 28, 2012
- Bank unions to strike Friday - Aug 03, 2011
- Strike is 99 percent successful: INTUC chief Sanjeeva Reddy - Sep 07, 2010
- Bank staffs call one-day strike Tuesday - Sep 06, 2010
- India's banking operations hit by nationwide staff strike (Roundup) - Aug 05, 2011
- Strike hits bus services in Punjab, Haryana - Sep 07, 2010
- Banking services hit in northeast India - Aug 22, 2012
Tags: cooperative banks, india bank employees association, merger and consolidation, priority sector, private sector banks, public sector bank, public sector banks, rural banks, state bank of india, state bank of saurashtra