Protests in Agra against Queen’s batonSeptember 19th, 2010 - 7:32 pm ICT by IANS
Agra, Sep 19 (IANS) Agra Mayor Anjula Singh Mahaur and Lok Sabha member Ram Shankar Katheria have announced a boycott of the Queen’s baton for the Commonwealth Games when it arrives here Monday.
Agra East legislator Jagan Prasad Garg and dozens of voluntary groups have also supported the boycott to protest what they say is injustice done to the Taj city.
The opposition to the function has spread after half a dozen tourism and travel bodies declared they would stay away from the Monday celebration.
“Agra is feeling insulted and cheated. I appeal to the people of Agra to join the boycott,” Katheria from the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) told reporters.
He said at least 25 percent of the Commonwealth Games budget should have been spent on developing tourism infrastructure and connectivity with Agra, which lies 200 km south of New Delhi.
Mayor Anjula Singh said she was hurt at the way the first citizen of the Taj city had been ignored.
She said propriety demanded that she should have been the first person to welcome the Queen’s baton but she had not even been officially invited.
District authorities are trying hard to persuade tourism industry leaders to withdraw the boycott call.
But industry spokesman Rajeev Tiwari said Saturday night that the boycott would continue.
But “we will welcome tourists with open arms and warmth and also persuade them to spend the night in Agra to see various other monuments”, he said.
- Agra mayor makes movie debut with 'Democracy' - Mar 29, 2011
- Most expensive coin on Taj to be released in Paris - Nov 14, 2010
- Now Agra has its own anthem - Mar 21, 2012
- Agra's tourism, trade groups to boycott Queen's Baton - Sep 18, 2010
- Agra mayor quits BJP, joins SP - Jan 20, 2012
- Agra businessman to immortalise Husain with museum - Jun 12, 2011
- Agra girls defy stereotype, drive tractors - Jan 16, 2011
- Carcasses, garbage make abandoned Taj corridor an eyesore - Aug 18, 2010
- Agra mayor in soup for Sanjana Jon show - Oct 29, 2009
- Agra despairs over Western advisory - Oct 26, 2011
- Taj City mayor to walk ramp with Salman, Sushmita - Oct 21, 2009
- Agra's war on plastic: Nothing succeeds like success - Jan 26, 2011
- Bitter row over Agra's trademark sweet - Nov 02, 2011
- Elaborate security for Agra municipal polls - Jun 27, 2012
- Air link sought for Agra - Aug 31, 2011
Tags: agra, anjula, bharatiya janata party, bjp, boycott, commonwealth games, district authorities, garg, half a dozen, industry spokesman, injustice, jagan, legislator, lok sabha member, prasad, propriety, shankar, tourism industry leaders, tourism infrastructure, voluntary groups