Protests hit steel project in OdishaJuly 23rd, 2012 - 4:25 pm ICT by IANS
Bhubaneswar, July 23 (IANS) Construction work at Jindal Steel and Power Ltd’s (JSPL) steel and power project in Odisha was partially hit Monday as many workers kept away from work and villagers demanded more compensation for loss of land.
Hundreds staged a demonstration in two places near the plant site in Nisha village near Angul town, about 160 km from here, and shouted slogans against the company.
The protesters vowed to continue the protests until their demands were met.
“Security has been beefed up around the plant site to avoid any untoward incidents”, police officer S.N. Muduli told IANS.
The villagers alleged that the company paid them less compensation compared to other companies.
JSPL official Prashanta Hota told IANS: “The construction work has been hit. We are hopeful it will get resolved soon.”
JSPL has been building a six-million tonne per annum steel plant along with an 810 MW captive power generation facility in the area.
In January this year, construction activities were also disrupted when villagers held demonstrations demanding more compensation.
- Odisha villagers lift blockades from Jindal project site - Jul 25, 2012
- JSPL begins commercial production at Odisha plant - Aug 28, 2012
- JSPL inks deal for industrial park in Odisha - Nov 15, 2011
- Jindal steel plant in Orissa gets green notice - Nov 26, 2010
- Jindal steel's reply to environment notice by Dec 22 - Dec 15, 2010
- JSPL to invest Rs.one lakh crore in Orissa - Jul 12, 2010
- Arrest of anti-Posco leader triggers tension - Nov 27, 2011
- Odisha ex-lawmaker held for Posco violence - Dec 24, 2011
- Anti-Posco leader released on bail in Odisha - May 18, 2012
- Chhattisgarh environmentalist chained to hospital bed - Jun 02, 2011
- Jindal official held for plant mishap - Jul 16, 2010
- Release jailed Chhattisgarh activists, demands Amnesty - Jun 04, 2011
- Jindal Steel warn against cheats offering jobs - Jan 04, 2011
- Police hunt for contractor in Posco violence - Dec 19, 2011
- Contractor held for Odisha violence over Posco - Dec 23, 2011
Tags: bhubaneswar, captive power generation, construction activities, construction work, demonstration, demonstrations, jindal steel and power, jindal steel and power ltd, jspl, odisha, police officer, power generation facility, protesters, protests, slogans, steel plant, steel project, year construction