Protestors block Mumbai-Goa highway over Raigad SEZJune 17th, 2008 - 6:32 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 17 (IANS) Around 5,000 protestors blocked the Mumbai-Goa highway for nearly three hours Tuesday, opposing the upcoming Maha Mumbai Special Economic Zone (MMSEZ) promoted by Reliance Industries Ltd. Led by Jagati Karan Virodhi Kriti Samiti leaders Anant Patil and N.D. Patil, the agitation began at 11 a.m. at Vashi Naka in Raigad, nearly 100 km from Mumbai.
Police officials said traffic was diverted to the old Mumbai-Pune highway via Khopoli and Pali, causing huge traffic pile-ups in Chembur in central Mumbai and till Ratnagari district, nearly 250 km from here.
The morning peak-hour traffic on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway was badly affected.
Around 40 protestors belonging to the Samiti were arrested, police officials said.
They added that traffic slowly resumed on the Goa and Pune routes after about 2 p.m. when the protestors dispersed.
- Eight killed in Maharashtra accident - May 28, 2011
- Premature to call Pune blasts a terror attack, says Patil - Aug 02, 2012
- Rains wreak havoc in Maharashtra (Lead) - Aug 29, 2011
- 27 killed in Maharashtra accident (Lead) - May 28, 2012
- Six-hour jam on Mumbai-Pune expressway after gas leak - Sep 06, 2012
- Pile-up on Pune-Mumbai Expressway after freak accidents - Jun 09, 2012
- 27 killed in Maharashtra accident (Third lead) - May 28, 2012
- Mumbai-Goa highway blocked for second day - Sep 05, 2011
- 27 killed, 29 injured in Maharashtra accident (Roundup) - May 28, 2012
- 12 killed in Maharashtra road accident - Feb 19, 2010
- Two killed in multiple crash on Mumbai-Pune Expressway - Apr 14, 2011
- Two killed as heavy rains lash coastal Maharashtra - Jul 22, 2010
- Farmers block highway to protest Raigad SEZ - Jun 18, 2008
- Ex-judge to probe police firing deaths near Pune - Aug 10, 2011
- Central Railway fire halts Mumbai (Lead) - Apr 18, 2012
Tags: agitation, central mumbai, chembur, goa, karan, khopoli, maha, morning peak, mumbai pune expressway, naka, peak hour, police officials, protestors, raigad, reliance industries, reliance industries ltd, special economic zone, traffic, ups