Protest over food security bill ThursdayApril 14th, 2010 - 7:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 14 (IANS) With parliament opening after a month-long break Thursday, a group of NGOs will stage a protest here over the food security bill that proposes an entitlement of 25 kg food grain for families below the poverty line.
Annie Raja of the National Federation for Indian Women said: “Since parliament is beginning Thursday, it is important to knock on the policy makers’ doors from day one itself. Our parliament must know the betrayal that the Indian government would be committing to the people of this country if it agrees to this minimalistic bill.”
In a letter to the prime minister last month, the NGOs said: “We are distressed by the proposed draft bill of the National Food Security Act which proposes an entitlement of 25 kg of food grain at Rs.3 per kg to each below-poverty-line (BPL) household. This is lower than the current entitlement of 35 kg per household as mandated by the Supreme Court.”
“Nothing short of a universal entitlement for the public distribution system would suffice to change the existing situation,” it added.
The protest will take place at Jantar Mantar in the heart of the capital. A large number of social activists and others from as many as 16 states across the country are expected to participate.
- Protests over bills mark parliament opening day - Apr 15, 2010
- Activists seek changes in food security bill - Apr 17, 2010
- Food security bill distressing, NGO tells PM - Mar 25, 2010
- NAC okays Food Security Bill, to be sent to PM - Jun 22, 2011
- Food bill based on 'narrow vision', say activists - Aug 28, 2012
- Government reviews food security bill - Feb 29, 2012
- Food security bill should provide maximum benefit: Congress - Apr 05, 2010
- Tripura opposes food security bill - Oct 18, 2011
- Categorise households for legal entitlement of foodgrain: NAC - Oct 23, 2010
- NGOs protest proposed National Food Security Act - Apr 17, 2010
- Centre, states to discuss food bill (Lead) - Feb 06, 2012
- Landmark food security bill tabled in parliament (Lead) - Dec 22, 2011
- Government to take states on board over food bill - Jan 10, 2012
- Film stars, NRIs in Kerala's BPL list - Dec 27, 2011
- Government exporting food, keeping people hungry: Brinda Karat - Aug 01, 2012
Tags: annie, april 14, betrayal, draft bill, food grain, food security act, indian government, indian women, long break, mantar, national federation, national food security, New Delhi, parliament, poverty line, prime minister, public distribution system, raja, security bill, social activists