Protest in Chhattisgarh over rising cement pricesJanuary 11th, 2012 - 4:12 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Jan 11 (IANS) Nearly 500 people Wednesday blocked the entry points of Century Cement’s production unit in Chhattisgarh to protest rising prices of cement, police said.
Members of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) as well as the opposition Congress reached the cement plant in Tilda area of Raipur with over 500 locals and stopped the company staff from going to work.
The protesters also did not allow the company officials to transport the cement bags out of the factory.
Terming the situation as “alarming”, Raipur District Superintendent of Police Dipanshu Kabra said police presence has been beefed up at the protest site.
BJP legislator Devjibhai Patel, who is organising the blockade along with Congress leader Vidhan Mishra, told IANS that they would organise the economic blockade one by one at the plants of all the seven leading cement manufactures, including Lafarge India, Ambuja Cement, Grasim and UltraTech Cement.
“All the cement manufacturers in India’s leading cement producing state of Chhattisgarh will have to face a strong economic blockade because they have formed a cartel and have been consistently raising prices though there is no rise in raw materials and labour cost,” Patel said.
He said a cement bag, which cost Rs.190 in September, was now priced at Rs.280. He said the blockade would be lifted only after the companies agree in writing to dissolve the cartel and reduce their cement prices.
The cement companies have been tightlipped over the issue.
- Chhattisgarh politicians fume as cement prices rise again - Feb 04, 2012
- Competition panel levies Rs.6,000 crore penalty on cement firms - Jun 21, 2012
- Rs.6,000 crore penalty on 11 cement firms for price fixing (Lead) - Jun 21, 2012
- Protest in Chhattisgarh capital against toll plaza - Jan 11, 2012
- Check cement price rise in Chhattisgarh, demands Congress - Nov 22, 2011
- Include cement in essential commodities: Dhumal - Dec 22, 2011
- Cement price in Himachal reduced - Jan 05, 2012
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for custody death (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Himachal wants cement put on controlled commodity list - Jan 02, 2012
- Four held for Chhattisgarh blast - Nov 09, 2010
- Man held for burying alive wife, three others - Jan 22, 2012
- Congress protest against Chhattisgarh CM turns violent - Sep 04, 2012
- Two engineering students held for rape - Feb 17, 2011
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for youth's custodial death - Feb 22, 2012
- Eight killed in Chhattisgarh van-truck collision - May 11, 2011
Tags: ambuja cement, cement bags, cement companies, cement manufacturers, cement plant, cement prices, chhattisgarh, company staff, congress leader, district superintendent, economic blockade, grasim, kabra, labour cost, lafarge, mishra, opposition congress, police presence, protest site, raipur district