Protest in Chhattisgarh capital against toll plazaJanuary 11th, 2012 - 1:16 pm ICT by IANS
Raipur, Jan 11 (IANS) People in this Chhattisgarh capital Wednesday stepped up their protest against a leading road construction company for trying to illegally setting up a toll plaza.Dozens of residents blocked a key national highway since early hours for the second day, seeking arrest of DS Constructions’ officials for beginning work for the toll plaza without permission of the state government or the Raipur Municipal Corporation.
“We are protesting against the monopoly of DS Constructions for over a month in phases for its bid to set up the toll plaza in a residential area, Sundar Nagar,” said Santosh Tiwari of the Nagrik Sangharsh Samiti.
Over 1,000 people formed the samiti to oppose the construction of the toll plaza.
Raipur Superintendent of Police Dipanshu Kabra told reporters here that protesters have approached him with documents to act against the construction company and he is “largely convinced that setting up a toll plaza in a residential area is illegal”.
Official sources said the state government is also unhappy about the move without getting approval from the authorities.
DS Construction officials were not available for comment on the issue as they did not attend repeated phone calls.
DS Constructions is the operator of the Delhi-Gurgaon expressway which recently saw protests at the Sarhaul and Kherki Dhaula toll plazas.
- Operator charges toll at two Gurgoan plazas - Sep 05, 2012
- Top cop who took on Gurgaon toll plaza transferred - Sep 18, 2012
- Toll rates hiked on Delhi-Gurgaon Expressway - Apr 01, 2010
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for youth's custodial death - Feb 22, 2012
- Protest in Chhattisgarh over rising cement prices - Jan 11, 2012
- 10 killed in Gurgaon road accident (Lead) - Nov 16, 2011
- Two toll employees on Gurgaon Expressway held for extortion - Sep 21, 2012
- Vidarbha farmers' group supports stir against toll collecion - Jun 17, 2012
- Man behind ink attack on minister evades arrest - Nov 09, 2010
- Criminal case against Delhi-Jaipur highway builder - Aug 28, 2012
- Chhattisgarh cop suspended for custody death (Lead) - Feb 23, 2012
- Four held for Chhattisgarh blast - Nov 09, 2010
- No toll on Delhi-Gurgaon expressway for 15 days: Court - Sep 04, 2012
- Two engineering students held for rape - Feb 17, 2011
- Man held for burying alive wife, three others - Jan 22, 2012
Tags: authorities, constructions, dozens, gurgaon, kabra, monopoly, phone calls, protest, protesters, protests, raipur, residential area, road construction company, state government, superintendent, toll plazas