Protest by ArcelorMittal workers marks violent May Day ralliesMay 2nd, 2009 - 6:50 pm ICT by IANS
London, May 2 (IANS) Police arrested dozens of people as Europe Friday witnessed a string of recession-fuelled May Day labour rallies, including by workers of an ArcelorMittal steel plant in France.
Workers of ArcelorMittal, the world’s largest steel plant that is owned by Indian billionaire Lakshmi Niwas Mittal, dressed in protective work suits in a march to denounce the French government’s economic policies in Marseille.
Police in the German capital of Berlin arrested 57 people while around 50 officers were hurt as demonstrators threw bottles and rocks and set fire to cars and rubbish bins.
There were also clashes in Hamburg, where anti-capitalist protesters attacked a bank.
In Turkey, masked protesters threw stones and petrol bombs at police, smashing banks and supermarket windows in its biggest city, Istanbul.
Some 150,000 marched through the streets of the capital Ankara.
In Greece, officers fired flash grenades to disperse rioters in Athens after attacks on banks and traffic cameras. Transport strikes disrupted bus, train and ferry services as well as flights by Greek carrier Olympic Airlines.
In Austria 20 people were injured and five arrested after police clashed with demonstrators in Linz.
There were also huge marches in Spain, Italy and Russia.
- Jharkhand considering MoU renewal for ArcelorMittal steel plant - Aug 01, 2012
- ArcelorMittal Liberia announces first iron ore shipment - Mar 20, 2012
- Belgian trade union files complaint against ArcelorMittal - Feb 21, 2012
- Arcelor-Mittal signs $6 bn credit facility agreement - Mar 22, 2011
- ArcelorMittal set to buy Canadian iron ore company for $433 million - Dec 16, 2010
- Steel giants Arcelor and POSCO gear up for new ventures in Karnataka - Jan 08, 2010
- ArcelorMittal, partner nearing absolute control of Baffinland - Feb 08, 2011
- ArcelorMittal says it won't extend Canadian takeover offer - Dec 23, 2010
- Mittal's steel project in Karnataka to get first priority - Jun 03, 2010
- ArcelorMittal to set up steel mill in Iraq - Mar 16, 2010
- S&P; cuts ArcelorMittal ratings to junk status - Aug 03, 2012
- ArcelorMittal changes India strategy, focus on smaller units - Sep 16, 2010
- Indian artist's house in London occupied by protesters - Jun 22, 2012
- Olympic protests turn violent in Vancouver - Feb 14, 2010
- At least 10 people killed, more than 100 injured in clashes along Israel's borders - May 15, 2011
Tags: billionaire, bus train, capital ankara, city istanbul, clashes, demonstrators, economic policies, ferry services, flash grenades, french government, german capital, may day, mittal, olympic airlines, petrol bombs, rioters, rubbish bins, steel plant, traffic cameras, work suits