Protest against Jindal Steel, Hindalco projects in JharkhandMarch 2nd, 2009 - 7:18 pm ICT by IANS
Ranchi, March 2 (IANS) Hundreds of farmers staged a protest here Monday against the acquisition of land for projects envisaged by aluminium major Hindalco, and steel manufacturer Jindal Steel and Power.
“We will lay down our lives but will not give an inch of land to Jindal Steel and Hindalco,” the protesters shouted as they marched to the governor’s residence to lodge their protest.
“We oppose acquisition of agricultural land for such projects,” said Amit Kumar, a leader of Jharkhand Vikas Morcha (Prajatantrik), the organisation that spearheaded Monday’s protest march. “Steel will not fill our stomachs. We need wheat and rice, not steel.”
Another key investor in the state, ArcelorMittal, is also facing similar protests in Jharkhand, where the steel behemoth proposes to set up a 12 million tonne steel plant.
Jindal Steel proposes to set up a six million tonne steel plant, as well as a 1,000 MW power plant, on a combined investment of Rs.150 billion (Rs.15,000 crore). Both companies have been allocated iron ore mines and coal blocks in Jharkhand.
Hindalco is setting up a smelter plant on an investment of Rs.80 billion (Rs.8,000 crore).
- Jharkhand considering MoU renewal for ArcelorMittal steel plant - Aug 01, 2012
- ArcelorMittal to pursue steel projects in Orissa, Jharkhand - Nov 27, 2009
- Posco relents, to set up steel plant in Karnataka - Jun 04, 2010
- Steel giants Arcelor and POSCO gear up for new ventures in Karnataka - Jan 08, 2010
- ArcelorMittal changes India strategy, focus on smaller units - Sep 16, 2010
- Jharkhand concerned about Arcelor Mittal steel project - Jan 09, 2010
- Mittal pullout: Jharkhand says it has no information - Oct 05, 2009
- ArcelorMittal may shift plant to another site in Jharkhand - Mar 18, 2010
- ArcelorMittal explores other Jharkhand sites for steel plant - Feb 22, 2010
- ArcelorMittal plans to set up steel plant in Karnataka - Nov 27, 2009
- Karnataka clears big-ticket investments worth $27.5 bn - Jan 07, 2010
- No information on Mittal pullout, say Orissa, Jharkhand (Lead) - Oct 05, 2009
- ArcelorMittal's third steel plant will be in Karnataka - Jan 07, 2010
- Hindalco to invest $5 billion more, double aluminium capacity - Dec 06, 2011
- ArcelorMittal to get government land for steel project - Feb 13, 2009
Tags: agricultural land, aluminium, amit kumar, arcelormittal, behemoth, coal, farmers, hindalco, iron ore mines, power plant, protest march, protesters, protests, ranchi, rs 8, smelter plant, steel manufacturer, steel plant, stomachs, wheat