Project on for developing catalyst to liquefy coal: Coal IndiaSeptember 11th, 2012 - 7:49 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Sep 11 (IANS) State-run Coal India, which is emphasising on Coal to Liquid (CTL) conversion technology, said a project for development of indigenous catalyst for the process is under implementation.
“One important project for development of indigenous catalyst for Coal-To-Liquid (CTL) is under implementation with an objective to eliminate the dependence on technology provider for supply of catalysts for future CTL plants likely to be established in India,” Coal India Limited (CIL) said in its annual report for 2011-12.
The firm, the world’s largest coal miner, said the prevailing level of prices of crude oil and petroleum products warrants a fresh look at coal liquefaction process.
The rising cost and questions related to adequate and assured supply of oil from overseas sources, have a significant bearing on both the national economy and energy security, it observed.
The coal major said its future research and development (R&D;) would address frontier areas like assessment of shale gas potentiality in Indian coal fields, coal bed methane (CBM) reserves estimation and CBM from fugitive emissions from open cast mines, among others.
The company had spent Rs.26.29 crore on R&D; in the last financial year.
- Coal shortage could hit hard power projects - Oct 09, 2011
- KG basin gas output 31 percent lower - Aug 02, 2011
- Age of oil and gas is not dead yet, says UAE minister - Jun 02, 2010
- Shale gas extraction is fraught with problems - Nov 21, 2010
- Coal India achieves 95 percent of targetted supply to power sector - Aug 27, 2012
- India seeks clean coal technologies from South Africa - Jan 06, 2011
- Schlumberger, ONGC to look for shale gas in Bengal, northeast - Jun 21, 2011
- Getting environmental clearance an issue: CIL - Nov 22, 2011
- Essar sets high target of methane extraction in Bengal - Aug 08, 2012
- Jindal to invest $10 bn in Orissa project - Mar 23, 2010
- China to give tech help to Pakistan - Nov 05, 2011
- Gas policy reforms will incentivise production, draw investors: PM - Mar 23, 2012
- Bengal may set up gas-based power plant - Aug 08, 2012
- Coal India achieves near-target performance - Sep 05, 2012
- 30 coal blocks start production out of 195 allocated - Aug 13, 2012
Tags: cast mines, coal bed methane, coal fields, coal india limited, coal india limited cil, coal liquefaction, coal miner, conversion technology, crore, dependence on technology, energy security, frontier areas, fugitive emissions, future research, national economy, overseas sources, petroleum products, potentiality, shale gas, technology provider