Profit booking pushes Sensex 252 points down (Roundup)June 22nd, 2009 - 6:54 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, June 22 (IANS) Indian equities markets closed in the red Monday after profit booking pushed a key index 252 points below its previous close.
The benchmark index of the Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE), the Sensex, which opened at 14,591.28 points, ended trade at 14,326.22 points - 195.67 points or 1.35 percent lower than Friday’s close.
Similarly, the S&P CNX Nifty of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) ended the day 1.82 percent down at 4,235.25 points.
Broader market indices too lost with the BSE midcap index falling 0.57 percent, while the BSE smallcap index moved down 0.33 percent.
Of the 13 sectoral indices on the BSE, those for energy, power, metal and realty stocks ended in the red, while FMCG, capital goods and banking stocks saw some buying interest.
The market breadth was negative, with 1,114 stocks advancing compared to 1,493 declining, while 68 scrips remained unchanged.
Of the few gainers on the 30 scrip composite Sensex, ICICI Bank was up 1.84 percent at Rs.726.90; ITC up 1.55 percent at Rs.202.80; Maruti Suzuki up 1.45 percent at Rs.1,062.45; and L&T was up 0.96 percent at Rs.1,510.40.
Of the losers on the Sensex were Tata Power, down 4.89 percent at Rs.1,107.40; Grasim, down 4.57 percent at Rs.2,140.35; Reliance Infra, down 4.33 percent at Rs.1,207.60; and RIL, down 4.27 percent at Rs.1,952.45.
Total traded turnover dropped to Rs.93,277.58 crore as against Rs.1,04,153.24 crore Friday. This comprised Rs.16,545.47 crore from the NSE cash segment, Rs.71,601.05 crore from the NSE futures and options and the balance Rs.5,131.06 crore from the BSE cash segment.
Data with the market watchdog Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) showed that foreign funds had sold shares worth $5.4 million Monday.
Earlier, other Asian markets had closed in the green, with key sectoral stocks boosting bourses in Tokyo and Hong Kong.
The Nikkei 225 Stock Average, a key index of the Tokyo stock exchange rose, as scrips of car maker Nissan and brewer Sapporo Holding saw some strong buying interest. The Nikkei ended Monday at 9,826.27 points, 40.01 points higher than its previous close.
The Hang Seng, a key index of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, also closed higher, settling at 18,059.55 points, 138.62 points up.
European markets, which opened weak, were trading in the red around this time, with the FTSE, a key British index, shedding 60.3 points to 4,285.63 while its French peer, CAC 40, was ruling 54.3 points down at 3,166.97 points.
The US markets were expected to slip on opening, as key index futures pointed to a lower opening. Futures on the Dow Jones were ruling 0.4 percent down, while Standard and Poor’s 500 and the technology heavy Nasdaq slipped 0.5 percent.
- Sensex closes flat; SBI down over 4 percent (Roundup) - Aug 10, 2012
- Sensex closes 56 points up, realty, oil and gas stocks rise (Roundup) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex closes 141 points down; realty, metal stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 29, 2012
- Sensex down 58 points, realty, banks stocks slump (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Sensex closes 34 points high, FMCG, IT stocks up (Lead) - Aug 17, 2012
- Sensex ends 38 points down; Bharti Airtel drops 3.85 percent (Roundup) - Aug 22, 2012
- Sensex closes 56 points higher, realty oil and gas rise (Second Lead) - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex down 43 points, IT stocks fall - Sep 04, 2012
- Sensex closes 40 points down on weak industrial data - Aug 09, 2012
- Sensex up 222 points, bank, auto and IT stocks rally (Lead) - Aug 07, 2012
- Sensex tanks 281 points (Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Sensex closes in red on weak European cues (Roundup) - Aug 08, 2012
- Sensex down 79 points; consumer durables, auto scrips fall - Aug 10, 2012
- Sensex extends losses on week European cues (Lead) - Jul 11, 2012
- Sensex tumbles to two-year low, despite rate hike pause (Roundup) - Dec 16, 2011
Tags: benchmark index, bombay stock exchange, crore, exchange board, futures and options, grasim, market breadth, market watchdog, national stock exchange, nikkei 225, profit booking, realty stocks, scrips, sectoral indices, securities and exchange board of india, segment data, smallcap index, stock average, tata power, tokyo stock exchange