Private telecom important in disaster management: PilotFebruary 15th, 2012 - 4:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 15 (IANS) Minister of State for Communication and Technology Sachin Pilot Wednesday called for cooperation from the private telecom sector in disaster management preparedness.
“We want the private sector to partner in preparing for disasters,” Pilot told reporters here.
He was speaking after releasing the National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) guidelines for information and communication systems during disasters. NDMA Vice-Chairman M. Shashidhar Reddy was also present.
“Government has huge investments in information and technology, but private sector has a role as well,” he said.
Pilot emphasised that the government’s Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) was functional after the recent Sikkim earthquake, while private telecom connections got snapped.
He added that ultimately it was the state government’s responsibility to implement the guidelines.
- Mock disaster drill held in Delhi, will show loopholes: NDMA - Feb 15, 2012
- BSNL can import equipment from China: Minister - Aug 19, 2010
- 112 government websites hacked in three months: Pilot - Mar 15, 2012
- NDMA to lay down guidelines for hospital fires - Dec 12, 2011
- Post office bank proposal awaits RBI nod - Jul 09, 2012
- Government to lay guidelines for hospital safety (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- BSNL to expand 3G services to 120 more cities by December - Nov 04, 2010
- BSNL 3G services to be in 760 cities by December (Lead, Superseding earlier story) - Nov 04, 2010
- Government to lay guidelines for hospital safety - Dec 17, 2011
- Disaster-hit planners revisit forgotten HAM radios - Sep 26, 2011
- Private telcos owe BSNL Rs.550.88 crore - May 02, 2012
- Telecom facilities to be raised in northeast to spur growth - Jun 18, 2012
- BSNL to lay optical cable in Bangladesh - Sep 09, 2010
- Respect Anna, but parliament supreme: Sachin Pilot - Aug 20, 2011
- BSNL not involved in 2G scam: Minister - Sep 07, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,