Private sector should not be targeted for coalfield allocations: JindalSeptember 6th, 2012 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 6 (IANS) Private firms should not be unfairly targeted for coalfield allocations, Chairman of Jindal Steel and Power and Congress MP Naveen Jindal said Thursday, adding any such move would negatively impact the economy.
“Both private and public sectors have to be treated equally. You can’t just target private sector because they are making profit,” Jindal told reporters on the sidelines of the fifth Global Skills Summit, organised by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) here.
Jindal said it would not be proper to draw a conclusion that all the private firms have got the coal block licences through improper means.
“It is the most unfortunate controversy,” said Jindal, adding there has hardly been auction of coal blocks around the world.
“Has ever any coal blocks being auctioned in US, Australia, Indonesia or most other countries? Then why is this whole controversy in India?”
Asked about the delay in starting production at the coalfields allocated to his company, Jindal claimed the work was progressing at the best possible pace.
“There has been a lot of progress in the last one year,” he said.
The government’s official auditor CAG recently said in a report that the lack of transparency in the allocation of coal blocks to private players resulted in the loss of a whopping Rs.1.85 lakh crore ($37 billion) to the exchequer.
- Government should not cancel coal blocks: Godrej - Sep 05, 2012
- CAG reports creating suspicion, distrust: Assocham - Aug 28, 2012
- IMG deallocates 8th coal block, Plan panel for privatising mining - Sep 18, 2012
- Indian mining sector under stress: Tata Steel chief - Aug 21, 2012
- Highlights of CAG's report on coal block allocations - Aug 17, 2012
- CAG report on coal block allocation flawed: Government - Aug 24, 2012
- Coal block allocations made by best screening committee: Jaiswal - Aug 17, 2012
- PM should answer why coal blocks were not auctioned: Yechury - Aug 23, 2012
- Furore in Lok Sabha over coal scam - Aug 21, 2012
- IMG likely to complete coal report by Sep 15: Bansal - Sep 13, 2012
- We never claimed 'zero loss' in coal block allocation: Chidambaram - Aug 27, 2012
- Opposition mounts pressure on UPA, Congress hits back (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Congress asks CAG to respond to public debate on coal report - Aug 30, 2012
- Allegations of impropriety in coal block allocation baseless: PM (Lead) - Aug 27, 2012
- Let PM speak on coal allocation, government tells BJP - Aug 27, 2012
Tags: allocations, chambers of commerce, chambers of commerce and industry, coal, crore, ficci, global skills, indian chambers of commerce, jindal steel and power, naveen, New Delhi, private firms, private players, private sector, public sectors, rs 1, sidelines, skills summit, target, whopping rs