Price rise hits Ramadan observance in KeralaAugust 22nd, 2009 - 5:20 pm ICT by IANS
Kozhikode, Aug 22 (IANS) The high prices of fruits, especialy dry fruits, and other popular Iftar items in Kerala have left this year’s Ramadan an expensive affair, say traders and devotees.
The Muslims in Kerala, the second largest community in the state after Hindus, started their month-long Ramadan fast Saturday morning.
Traders in Kozhikode Veliyanagadi, a major market in northern Kerala, said popular Iftar items like dates have come from the Middle Eastern countries, but this year the prices are very high.
Iftar is the first meal after the daylong fast observed during Ramadan. Date is the traditional fruit for Iftar, while lemon juice is the traditional drink.
“Ordinary dates, which were priced in the range of Rs.54 to Rs.254 a kilogram till recently, are now costlier by Rs.40. And dry dates, which were priced between Rs.850 to Rs.1,200, are dearer by 20 percent now,” said a leading wholesale trader of dates here.
“This time products came from new markets like Algeria, Tunisia and Egypt,” he added.
Prices of lemon went up to Rs.70 a kilogram from Rs.40 to Rs.50 till recently.
Sugar prices have also gone up to Rs.32 per kilogram from Rs.25, traders said.
Devotees said the state government’s Ramadan fairs would be more crowded this year because of the high prices of the products in the market.
“The prices of fruits and fruit juices have also shot up. One kilogram of apple today costs in the range of Rs.85 to Rs.100. The Ramadan fairs of the state government are going to be crowded,” said Abubacker, a devout Muslim living here.
- Fasting, but feasting at a cost this Ramadan - Aug 22, 2009
- Muslims in Kerala observe Ramadan fast (Lead) - Jul 21, 2012
- Trade fair: Head to Afghan pavilion for fruits, jewellery - Nov 15, 2011
- Old Hyderabad never sleeps for Eid shopping (Letter from Hyderabad) - Aug 16, 2012
- Feasting all night long - at Jama Masjid of course (Feature) (With Images) - Aug 10, 2012
- Cleric to child, Ramadan spirit binds them all (Lead) - Sep 08, 2010
- Himachal exhibits artefacts at trade fair - Nov 17, 2011
- Prayers, feasts and piety - it's Ramadan in India (Special) - Sep 08, 2010
- 10 quintessential cocktails for all occasions! - Jun 20, 2012
- Prawn on toast, cheese burgers light up iftar in Pakistan - Aug 05, 2012
- Himachal's 17th century fair falls prey to modernism - Nov 14, 2010
- Eid shopping reaches fever pitch in Kashmir - Aug 18, 2012
- Is this the Eid that Kashmir wants? - Sep 07, 2010
- Afghan handicrafts, dry fruits lure retailers at Delhi IITF - Nov 22, 2010
- Egyptian traders turn Obama into a date! - Aug 22, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,