President of Berkshire Hathaway Ajit JainMarch 2nd, 2009 - 10:49 am ICT by Amrit Rashmisrisethi
Ajit Jain, the president of Berkshire Hathaway’s re-insurance group in Stamford, Connecticut, has long been on industry watchers list of successors to Warren Buffett before the legendary investor praised him in a letter to shareholders on Sunday.
Ajit Jain who is born in 1951, in Orissa. He graduated in 1972 from IIT Kharagpur with a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering, worked for IBM in India from 1973 to 1976. He then moved to the US, to persuade MBA degree from Harvard University.
He joined McKinsey & Co but returned to India in the early eighties to get married, returning to McKinsey in the US, because, as he later told some close friends, his wife wanted to move there more than he did. In 1986, Jain then worked on insurance operations for Warren Buffett and left McKinsey. Warren Buffeet, world’s greatest living investor has been justly hailed as the Oracle of Omaha his financial skills catapulted him to the status of the worlds richest man last year, ahead of buddy and bridge partner Bill Gates, and Mexican telecoms tycoon Carlos Slim Helu.
Buffett has hinted that his successor may be a person of Indian origin, Ajit Jain. In his annual letter to shareholders of his holding company, Berkshire Hathaway, Buffett showered praise on Jain, who handles the reinsurance division.
Last year, the company’s insurance units reported an underwriting profit of $2.79bn, a 17 per cent fall compared with 2007’s figures.
- Warren Buffett diagnosed with prostate cancer - Apr 18, 2012
- Todd Anthony Combs: Warren Buffett's Berkshire Successor - Oct 26, 2010
- Is Greg Abel The Prospective Successor Of Warren Buffett? - Jan 19, 2011
- Greg Abel Represents A New Contender For The Post Of The Billionaire, Warren Buffett - Jan 19, 2011
- Berkshire Hathaway Gives Nod For Stock Split - Jan 21, 2010
- Warren Buffett's Annual Letter To The Shareholders Released - Mar 02, 2010
- New Recruit At Berkshire Likely To Be Buffett's Successor - Oct 26, 2010
- Rajat Gupta quits Gates Foundation panel - Mar 29, 2011
- Did Rajat Gupta spill the beans about Project Moon? - May 26, 2012
- Former Goldman director Rajat Gupta charged in US insider case - Mar 02, 2011
- Rajat Gupta threw away his duties: Prosecution - May 22, 2012
- When India prospers, US will prosper better: Warren Buffett (Lead) - Mar 22, 2011
- Warren Buffett Vends Stakes In Carmax, Home Depot And Republic As Per His 2010 Regulatory Filing - Nov 16, 2010
- Warren Buffet reveals in his annual letter what's in the future for the investors - Mar 03, 2010
- US investor Warren Buffett makes record rail investment - Nov 04, 2009
Tags: ajit jain, berkshire hathaway, bill gates, carlos slim helu, company berkshire hathaway, degree in mechanical engineering, harvard university, indian origin, insurance group, insurance operations, kharagpur, letter to shareholders, mba degree, mckinsey, oracle of omaha, orissa, reinsurance division, stamford connecticut, warren buffett, worlds richest man