Premji meets Buddhadeb over Wipro’s new campusDecember 8th, 2010 - 4:42 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 8 (IANS) Wipro head Azim Premji Wednesday called on West Bengal Chief Minister Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee here in what was described as a “positive meeting” on establishing the IT major’s second campus on the outskirts of the city.
Premji had a half-hour meeting with Bhattacharjee at the state secretariat Writers’ Buildings.
Wipro has purchased 50 acres of land from the state government for setting up its second campus at New Town, Rajarhat in the north eastern fringes of the city.
The upcoming project promises an investment of over Rs.1,000 crore and jobs for at least 15,000 IT professionals.
Premji, however, left without talking to the media after the meeting.
When contacted, state IT minister Debesh Das told IANS: “All I can say is the meeting was positive. But it was not about any new projects. I can’t give any further details”.
Wipro has its existing centre in the IT hub at sector V of the satellite township of Salt Lake.
A source said the two discussed the Rajarhat project with Bhattacharjee keen that the company starts its second campus soon.
The proposed campus is located close to a 50-acre plot given by the state government to another IT giant Infosys earlier this week for setting up its first facility in West Bengal.
The state has attracted all big names in the sector. Tata Consultancy Service and IBM are among the other companies which have already set up base here.
- Premji meets Mamata, promises Rs.800-crore second campus - Dec 07, 2011
- Wipro to expand Kolkata project - Aug 27, 2012
- Work on Infosys' Rajarhat centre to start in six months - Dec 06, 2010
- Azim Premji accepts West Bengal's land offer - Dec 10, 2009
- Wipro accepts West Bengal's land proposal (Lead) - Dec 10, 2009
- All help for facility but no SEZ, Bengal tells Infosys - Feb 25, 2012
- Infosys inks deal with West Bengal for 50-acre campus - Nov 23, 2010
- We can't change our anti-SEZ stand: Mamata - Apr 27, 2012
- Infosys to get 50 acres near Kolkata - Mar 30, 2010
- Bengal against SEZs, minister tells Infosys - Feb 20, 2012
- Bengal minister meets Infosys top brass on stalled project - Sep 07, 2012
- Wipro seeks 50 acres for West Bengal unit - Oct 30, 2009
- Buddhadeb hits out at Trinamool over Infosys imbroglio - Aug 05, 2012
- Want Infosys in Bengal, but won't bend rules: Mamata - Mar 12, 2012
- Mamata rules out SEZ for Infosys - Feb 27, 2012
Tags: acre plot, chief minister, crore, eastern fringes, half hour, hub, jobs, keen, new projects, outskirts, rajarhat, rs 1, salt lake, secretariat, state government, state secretariat, tata consultancy service, west bengal, wipro