Prehispanic dentists knew teeth modification techniques used in our daysSeptember 9th, 2008 - 3:30 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, September 9 (ANI): Some methods used by dentists at the present day were performed by Prehispanic peoples to modify their teeth.
This was pointed out by Socorro Ochoa Caceres, dental specialist at Hospital del Nino Poblano (Puebla Children Hospital) in Mexico.
Socorro Ochoa mentioned that based on comparative documented studies regarding Prehispanic ancient teeth alteration techniques, she confirmed that some contemporary techniques have this fundament.
Dentists use a technique named streeping or dental filing, performed under the same principles applied centuries ago. Using them, Prehispanic dentists avoided tooth position loss and disarray, she stated.
Dental filing method is based on the insertion of files between teeth to devastate them and create the space needed to fasten orthodontic devises to the mouth.
Among ancient indigenous peoples, dental filing was linked to esthetic and therapeutic practices.
Their knowledge about dental anatomy was extraordinary, and they could correct disarrayed teeth without affecting roots.
Stones such as jadeite, obsidian and flint, as well as leather, wood and vegetal fibers were used to modify teeth and have precious stones fixed.
Having dental procedures was only allowed to hierarchs and elites. (ANI)
- Scientists discover that some Ice age mariners were present in pre-historic Greece - Aug 30, 2011
- Dental facelift can make you look 10 years younger - Dec 13, 2010
- Now, teeth of dead bodies can reveal their identity - Jun 30, 2010
- Women putting their health at risk by using DIY teeth-whitening: Scientists - Nov 05, 2010
- One in five Britons don't visit the dentist - Mar 25, 2011
- Want a dazzling smile? Go for dental jewellery! - Sep 07, 2010
- Popular teeth-whitening methods can rob you of your smile - Nov 05, 2010
- Best Teeth Whitening Products: What One Should Know - Jan 06, 2011
- 'Dental Facelift' promises to make you look up to 10 years younger! - Dec 13, 2010
- Most people brush their teeth the wrong way - May 16, 2012
- A new gadget cancels the sound of the dentist's drill - Jan 10, 2011
- Permanent dental implants for toothless available (Lead) - Jul 24, 2012
- Dental implants becoming popular method for replacing teeth - Jan 17, 2010
- Postmenopausal women urged to increase yearly dental checkups - Mar 11, 2011
- Bad breath chemical converts dental pulp into liver cells - Feb 27, 2012