Pre-paid connections not to be banned in Jammu and KashmirOctober 21st, 2009 - 8:49 pm ICT by IANS
Jammu, Oct 21 (IANS) Minister of State for Communications and Information Technology Sachin Pilot Wednesday ruled out the possibility of disconnecting pre-paid mobile phone connections in Jammu and Kashmir in the near future.
Pilot also said mobile towers would come up in the border areas along the line of control (LoC) and that the defence ministry would be consulted in this regard.
“There is no such proposal at the moment,” he told newsmen in Jammu Wednesday evening, a week after Home Minister P. Chidambaram hinted at the possibility of disconnecting pre-paid connections in the state because of security reasons.
Chidambaram had hinted that terrorists could use pre-paid cell phones to direct militancy.
While acknowledging that security was an important issue, Pilot said that at the same time, subscribers’ interests have also to be taken into account.
“A balanced approach is needed,” he said.
- Few takers for post-paid connection in Pakistan - Aug 24, 2012
- Kashmir ban on pre-paid mobiles lifted, Omar welcomes step (Second Lead) - Jan 21, 2010
- Ban on some SMS services lifted in Kashmir - Dec 22, 2010
- Govt. to ban pre-paid cell-phone connections in Jammu and Kashmir: Chidambaram - Oct 30, 2009
- Hello Kashmir! Ban on pre-paid mobiles lifted (Roundup) - Jan 21, 2010
- Northeast pre-paid mobiles allowed roaming facilities - May 25, 2011
- Pre-paid mobile connections blocked in Jammu and Kashmir - Nov 01, 2009
- Are we all militants, ask Kashmir's pre-paid mobile subscribers - Oct 31, 2009
- Prepaid mobile recharges stalled in Kashmir - Feb 16, 2012
- Ban on prepaid mobile phones in Kashmir revoked (Lead) - Jan 21, 2010
- Kashmir residents object to ban on pre-paid mobile connections - Oct 31, 2009
- No pre-paid connections in Kashmir over militant worries (Lead) - Oct 30, 2009
- Ban on pre-paid mobiles in Kashmir to stay, says Chidambaram (Lead) - Nov 05, 2009
- Pre-paid Airtel customers to get detailed bills now - Feb 13, 2012
- Power for Maharashtra - tourist town gets pre-paid meters - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: balanced approach, border areas, defence ministry, future pilot, home minister, jammu and kashmir, kashmir, loc, militancy, minister of state, mobile phone connections, mobile towers, newsmen, p chidambaram, pre paid cell phones, pre paid mobile phone, sachin pilot, security reasons, time subscribers, wednesday evening