Pranab asks banks to reduce non-performing assetsJune 12th, 2012 - 8:45 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 12 (IANS) Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee Tuesday asked banks to reduce non-performing assets (NPAs) for the financial health of the sector.
“I am happy that banks have taken up the challenge to reduce NPAs and made a record recovery against prudential write-off in the last quarter ending March 2012… I urge you to deploy various tools at your command for containing and rolling back NPAs in accordance with the guidelines of the Reserve Bank of India,” Mukherjee said during a meeting here with chief executive officers of public sector banks and financial institutions.
There has been reduction in gross NPAs from the level of 3.18 percent in December 2011 to 3.10 percent in March 2012.
Mukherjee said the recent decisions on restructuring of loans in the textile sector and power distribution companies were good examples of NPA management.
The finance minister congratulated all the public sector banks on achieving a healthy growth in both deposits and advances.
The deposits have grown 14.4 percent and now aggregates to over Rs.50 lakh crore, as compared to last year. The advances have grown 17.7 percent over last year and now aggregates close to Rs.40 lakh crore.
Net profits of public sector banks have also gone up from Rs.44,900 crore to over Rs.49,500 crore in 2011-12 despite a difficult economic scenario.
- Public sector bank's non-performing assets not alarming: FM (Roundup) - Aug 18, 2012
- Pranab asks banks to take belt tightening measures - Jan 06, 2012
- Indian Bank to raise $500 mn for overseas operations - Jul 29, 2011
- Public sector banks' NPAs rise to 2.31 percent - Aug 16, 2011
- SBI profit more than doubles to Rs.3,751.56 crore - Aug 10, 2012
- Public sector bank's non-performing assets not alarming: FM - Aug 18, 2012
- Pranab to review banks' performance - Jul 07, 2011
- IOB plans recovery of Rs.1,500 crore from sticky accounts (Lead) - Jan 28, 2012
- Indian Bank posts 13 percent growth in net profit - Jul 23, 2012
- UCO Bank's net up 22.35 percent in Q3 - Jan 28, 2011
- UCO Bank's net profit dips 40.2 percent in Q4 - Apr 29, 2011
- Huge jump in Indian Bank's NPA - May 11, 2012
- UCO Bank Q1 net profit jumps 24 percent - Aug 04, 2012
- UCO Bank net up by 12 percent in Q4 - May 05, 2012
- Pranab asks banks to improve asset quality - Jun 17, 2011
Tags: aggregates, bank of india, chief executive officers, economic scenario, finance minister, financial health, financial institutions, last quarter, net profits, New Delhi, non performing assets, npas, power distribution companies, pranab mukherjee, prudential, public sector banks, reserve bank of india, rs 40, rs 50, textile sector