Pranab asks banks to improve asset qualityJune 17th, 2011 - 8:23 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 17 (IANS) Expressing concern over the rising non-performing assets (NPAs), Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee Friday asked banks to adopt better risk management practices and improve the quality of their assets.
“It is important for banks to constantly monitor and bring down the non-performing assets to the previous level. I am concerned about their asset quality,” Mukherjee at a banking conclave organised by industry chamber Assocham here.
Most banks reported increase in their non-performing assets in 2010-11. The NPAs of State Bank of India, the country’s largest lender, rose to Rs.25,326 crore in 2010-11 from Rs.19,535 crore in the previous year.
Mukherjee said though Indian banks performed well during the time of crisis, their asset quality is a matter of concern.
He asked banks to adopt better risk management practices. “It is important for the banks to adopt the best risk management practices to keep themselves abreast with global developments,” he said.
The finance minister said consolidation of banking services, consistently meeting the capital adequacy requirements, leveraging advanced technology, and effectively managing human resources were emerging as major areas of concern for Indian banks that need to be addressed in right earnest.
He said the government was committed to further reform financial sector.
- Public sector banks' NPAs rise to 2.31 percent - Aug 16, 2011
- Pranab to review banks' performance - Jul 07, 2011
- Pranab asks banks to reduce non-performing assets - Jun 12, 2012
- SBI profit more than doubles to Rs.3,751.56 crore - Aug 10, 2012
- SBI to approach Moody's for review and re-rating - May 18, 2012
- HDFC Bank third quarter net profit up 31.2 percent - Jan 19, 2012
- Pranab asks banks to take belt tightening measures - Jan 06, 2012
- HDFC Bank Q4 profit up 30 percent - Apr 18, 2012
- SBI expects another Rs.40 billion capital infusion - Aug 23, 2012
- UCO Bank's net profit dips 40.2 percent in Q4 - Apr 29, 2011
- Public sector bank's non-performing assets not alarming: FM (Roundup) - Aug 18, 2012
- Banks' non-performing assets may rise: Assocham - Aug 14, 2011
- Panel to clean up financial sector laws soon: Mukherjee - Nov 19, 2010
- Axis Bank profit soars 33 percent in Q4 - Apr 22, 2011
- Public sector bank's non-performing assets not alarming: FM - Aug 18, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,