Powerless again, Northern and Eastern Grid break down (Lead)July 31st, 2012 - 4:03 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 31 (IANS) Large parts of north and east India went without power Tuesday as the Northern Grid and sections of the Eastern and Northeastern Grid broke down, affecting supply in 10 states and paralysing train traffic as well as essential services such as the Delhi Metro.
The Northern Grid had collapsed Monday, leading to power outages across seven states, including the national capital, and supply could be restored only by afternoon.
According to officials, power supply in over 10 states in north and east India has been hit.
“Grid incident occurred at 1 p.m. affecting the Northern, Eastern and Northeastern Grid. System is under restoration,” said the official website of the Eastern Grid.
Train services in the region came to a complete halt due to the power failure, a railway spokesperson in Kolkata said.
“About 150-200 trains have been affected by power failure,” said a Northern Railway official.
The Delhi Metro suspended service on all six lines as power tripped for the second consecutive day. It normally operates over 2,700 trips a day, covering a total of about 70,000 km and carrying around 1.8 million passengers on week days.
“Due to Northern Grid failure, all train services have been suspended and entry to all stations stopped. The trains, which are plying right now, are being brought to the nearest station for evacuation,” a Delhi Metro official said.
“Nine trains were in the tunnel, and were immediately brought to the nearest station and the passengers were evacuated and refunded the amount. No passengers are stranded in the tunnel,” the Metro official added.
- Power crisis now trips 22 states, 600 million people hit (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Power crisis now trips 19 states, 600 million people hit (Third Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Grid failure brings Delhi Metro services to a halt - Jul 31, 2012
- 3 lakh passengers, 300 trains stranded in eight states (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Grid failure again halts Delhi Metro services (Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Power trip hits seven states, millions suffer (Afternoon Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Power failure disrupts Delhi Metro services - Jul 30, 2012
- Power trip in seven states hits millions (Roundup) - Jul 30, 2012
- 3 lakh passengers, 300 trains stranded in eight states - Jul 31, 2012
- Second blackout in India hits 19 states, 600 million people (Roundup) - Jul 31, 2012
- Delhi blames neighbouring states for power crisis (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Power failure throws Delhi Metro services out of gear (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Delhi Metro services resume on all lines (Third Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Power outage cripples Delhi Metro, thousands hit (Second Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
- Power outage cripples Delhi Metro, thousands hit (Third Lead) - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: break down, delhi metro, east india, eastern grid, essential services, grid failure, grid system, New Delhi, northern grid, northern railway, power failure, power outages, power supply, railway official, spokesperson, train services, train traffic, trains