Power tariffs soar in PunjabJuly 5th, 2008 - 8:10 pm ICT by IANS
Chandigarh, July 5 (IANS) The Punjab State Electricity Regulatory Commission (PSERC) announced an increase of 8 to 11 paise per unit in the power tariffs for both domestic and industrial consumers in the state. PSERC chairman Jai Singh Gill stated that the hike will be implemented from April 2008. In the domestic category, there is an increase of 8 paise and the new slab will be Rs.2.40 per unit for the first 100 units against the earlier Rs.2.32 per unit.
In agriculture sector the new tariffs will be Rs.2.40 per unit with 11 paise increase from the previous tariff of 2.29 per unit. In the industrial sector, there is an increase of 8 paise per unit.
Gill said the annual revenue requirement of the Punjab state Electricity Board (PSEB) for 2008-09 was Rs.111.75 billion ($2.6 billion) against the projected amount of Rs.138.55 billion. The present hike will recover the overall deficit of Rs.2.5 billion that the PSEB has incurred during the past three years.
The PSERC also criticised the PSEB on the issue of interest charges on loans taken by it. Against the interest charges of Rs.13.94 billion proposed by the board, the commission had approved only Rs.8.7 billion.
- Power to cost more in power-deficient Punjab - Apr 23, 2010
- Power to cost more in power-deficient Punjab (Lead, Recasting intro) - Apr 23, 2010
- Power tariff goes up in Punjab - May 09, 2011
- People protest power tariff hike in Rajasthan - Aug 09, 2012
- Industry demands roll back in Goa power hike - May 08, 2012
- Chhattisgarh's domestic power tariff up 22 percent - Apr 08, 2011
- Kolkata power firm may hike tariff - Aug 09, 2011
- Electricity to cost more in power-starved Punjab - Sep 08, 2009
- Delhi homes hit by 20 percent power rate hike - Jun 26, 2012
- Power tariff in Tamil Nadu goes up - Mar 30, 2012
- Power tariff hike inevitable: Sheila Dikshit (Lead) - Jul 02, 2012
- Sheila Dikshit calls power tariff hike 'inevitable' - Jul 02, 2012
- Power tariff hiked in Himachal Pradesh - Jun 10, 2010
- Delhi's power tariff hike comes into effect - Jul 01, 2012
- Karnataka residents to shell out more for electricity - Oct 28, 2011
Tags: agriculture sector, electricity regulatory commission, industrial consumers, industrial sector, interest charges, jai, loans, paise, pseb, pserc, punjab chandigarh, punjab state, slab, state electricity board, state electricity regulatory commission, tariff, tariffs