Power-starved Bihar to purchase 1,500 MW from open marketJanuary 16th, 2010 - 4:59 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, Jan 16 (IANS) Power-starved Bihar will purchase 1,500 MW of electricity from the open market before summer.
The Bihar State Electricity Board (BSEB) had last year invited a request for proposals (RFP) to purchase power from the open market. “The response has been tremendous,” Bihar Power Minister Ramashray Prasad Singh told IANS.
Added a board official: “The BSEB has now extended the date (to receive bids) of the RFP in view of the response.”
The official said BSEB was hopeful of sourcing power from companies in Maharashtra, Gujarat, Kerala, Chhattishgarh or Orissa.
Bihar receives 800-1,000 MW from the central pool despite the scheduled allocation of 1,553 MW per day. Its daily demand is 2,000-2,500 MW.
BSEB provides 400-450 MW to Patna alone apart from supplying 75-100 MW to neighbouring Nepal and 125 MW to the Indian Railways. Interestingly, Bihar generates just about 85-125 MW on its own.
Besides this, BSEB supplies 200 MW for maintaining emergency services such as hospitals and defence establishments.
Till two-three years ago, Bihar did not generate any electricity as its two thermal power plants in Begusarai and Muzaffarpur districts were not operational.
“Keeping this ground reality in view, BSEB had no option but to purchase electricity from the open market,” Singh said.
A severe cold wave is sweeping the state this winter — when the demand for power is low — yet it is witnessing repeated power cuts. The situation is likely to worsen in summer.
According to a report by environmental group Greenpeace India Society, the state’s per capita energy consumption is the lowest in the country.
“Bihar’s per capita energy consumption, at 75 KWh (kilowatt per hour), is the lowest in India and far below the national average of 613 KWh,” said the report titled “Energy Injustice”.
According to it, 30 percent of rural households in the state have been electrified.
- Bihar to buy 200 MW electricity - Apr 08, 2010
- TERI to help light up Bihar villages - Mar 18, 2010
- China starts differential electricity pricing system - Jul 02, 2012
- Bihar to get 200 MW from paddy husk - Dec 04, 2009
- Bihar uses least power, Delhi the most - Aug 15, 2011
- Bihar's per capita energy consumption lowest: Report - Nov 20, 2009
- Summer multiplies woes of power-starved Bihar - May 11, 2012
- Consumers to pay more for power in Bihar - Jun 01, 2011
- Acute power shortage sparks protests in Bihar - Apr 23, 2010
- Bihar seeks 5,000 transformers - Feb 22, 2012
- China's power consumption slows down - Aug 14, 2012
- India seeks US investment in power sector - Sep 20, 2011
- No electricity, no vote: Nitish Kumar - Aug 15, 2012
- Bihar to restructure state power board - Jul 27, 2011
- Bihar broke energy promises: Greenpeace India - Mar 03, 2011
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,