Power plant workers go on rampage after co-worker’s deathMay 7th, 2009 - 6:46 pm ICT by IANS
Mundhra (Gujarat), May 7 (IANS) Police lobbed tear-gas shells and fired several rounds in the air to quell a mob of about 500 workers who went on a rampage at a power plant in Kutch region of Gujarat following death of a worker after he slipped from a crane, police said Thursday.
Workers at the the Adani Group’s power plant in Shiraya resorted to stone pelting and damaged three vehicles and set another vehicle on fire to protest the death of a worker after he slipped from a crane used for cleaning a chimney.
The angry workers say he died due to improper maintenance of the crane which moved suddenly when the worker was cleaning the chimney.
No arrests have been made. The body of the worker has been sent for post-mortem examination.
The Adani Group officials were not available for comment.
- Three killed in protests against power plant in Andhra (Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Three oil plant workers suffocate to death - Jan 09, 2012
- Two killed in protests against power plant in Andhra - Feb 28, 2011
- Tension continues in Chandigarh after kidnapped boy found dead - Jan 06, 2011
- Tiger cub dies in Bhopal - Nov 22, 2011
- UP to upgrade and modernise autopsy centres - Aug 26, 2012
- Three workers injured in police firing in Yanam - Jan 27, 2012
- Six injured in chimney collapse (Lead, superseding earlier story) - May 24, 2010
- 3 killed in protests against power plant in Andhra (Second Lead) - Feb 28, 2011
- Three died in mob violence in Guwahati (Lead) - Jun 22, 2011
- Balco chimney crash deaths climb to 26, dozens still trapped (Fourth Lead) - Sep 24, 2009
- Workers go on rampage in Chhattisgarh - Apr 25, 2010
- 34 bodies retrieved, dozens still trapped under crashed Balco chimney - Sep 25, 2009
- Balco chimney crash toll rises to 38, several trapped (Lead) - Sep 25, 2009
- Battle on to rescue workers from Chhattisgarh chimney debris (Third Lead) - Sep 24, 2009