Power minister seeks coal linkages, clearances for new plantsJune 23rd, 2009 - 8:22 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 23 (IANS) Power Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde Tuesday asked the coal and environment ministries for coal linkages and quick environmental clearance for upcoming power projects.
Shinde made the request at a state power ministers’ conference here, which was also attended by Environment Minister Jairam Ramesh, Minister of State for Coal Shriprakash Jaiswal, and New and Renewable Energy Minister Farooq Abdullah.
“The minister asked his colleagues to clear obstacles coming in the way of new power projects. He wanted coal linkages and speedy environmental clearance for these plants,” a power ministry official said, requesting anonymity.
The two issues were also raised by several state power ministers.
Another area of discussion was augmentation of the country’s power generation capacity to meet the Plan period targets. In the current Five-Year Plan that ends in 2012, it has been targeted to add 78,700 MW.
However, in the first two years of the Plan period, only 15,036 MW have been added.
Speaking to reporters later, Shinde ruled out revising the target. “We will pressurise the agencies concerned to expedite power generation to meet the target,” he said.
“The states have also been told that they would have to meet their own power needs,” the minister said, explaining that the central government only supplemented projects initiated by the states.
- Akhilesh writes to PM on power project delays - Aug 31, 2012
- Don't blame environment ministry for coal shortage: Natarajan - Apr 11, 2012
- GoM to meet on power sector woes, PM offers help (Roundup) - Jan 18, 2012
- NTPC begins work on power project in Karnataka - Jun 02, 2012
- Udangudi Power project may not need fresh environment assessment - Feb 27, 2012
- Coal Minister invites foreign investment - Aug 03, 2012
- Power ministry asks for environment clearance for some coal mines - Oct 26, 2010
- Tamil Nadu to annul Udangudi power joint venture soon - Jun 18, 2012
- Tamil Nadu scraps power joint venture, BHEL surprised (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Yeddyurappa-led delegation meets Jaiswal, demands more coal linkages for Karnataka - Mar 22, 2011
- Coal ministry included in environment appraisal of power projects - Jul 09, 2010
- Coal Minister Jaiswal meets Ramesh to solve vexed mining issues - Feb 08, 2011
- GOM to meet on power sector woes, PM offers help (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
- Karnataka seeks more coal, power to stave off crisis - Oct 08, 2011
- Consensus on commercial mining of coal to be evolved - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: anonymity, central government, energy minister, environment minister, environment ministries, environmental clearance, farooq abdullah, jaiswal, linkages, minister of state, ministers conference, ministry official, plan period, power generation capacity, power minister, power ministry, power projects, sushil kumar, sushil kumar shinde, target