Power generation firms need to improve efficiency: ShindeApril 26th, 2012 - 9:08 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, April 26 (IANS) Power generation firms need to improve efficiency to meet growing demands and reduce dependence on coal and gas supply, Power Minister Sushilkumar Shinde said Thursday.
Addressing a seminar on energy conservation, the minister said improvement in efficiency would also reduce green house gas emissions.
“If efficiency is increased then carbon dioxide gas emissions would be reduced and there will be no need for storage of gas which is to be avoided because of the Bhopal gas tragedy,” Shinde said.
The seminar on “Energy Conservation and Energy Security” was organised by Lal Bahadur Shastri Memorial Foundation here.
Shinde pointed out that several legislations have been changed to facilitate investments in power sector and boost growth.
Addressing the seminar, Coal Minister Sriprakash Jaiswal said even though India would continue to rely on coal for energy needs, the emphasis should be on environment friendly sources.
“Energy has become an important resource and there is need to conserve it otherwise it could lead to imbalance. The challenge facing the country now is how are we to manage to realise a self-sufficiency in conservation of resources which is important,” said Sunil Shastri, president, Lal Bahadur Shastri Memorial Foundation.
- Maharashtra begins 'no power days' for agro-sector - Oct 12, 2011
- GoM to meet on power sector woes, PM offers help (Roundup) - Jan 18, 2012
- Durban climate talks: What it means for India? - Dec 15, 2011
- Karnataka team in Delhi to ask for power - Oct 12, 2011
- Power plants should import coal, says minister - Dec 19, 2011
- Karnataka seeks more coal, power to stave off crisis - Oct 08, 2011
- Massive power cuts in Karnataka, Bangalore spared - Oct 10, 2011
- Government decides in favour of R-Power's coal transfer plan - Apr 28, 2012
- India plans sovereign fund to buy coal assets abroad - May 04, 2012
- Shinde calls for Indo-Australian cooperation in power sector - Jun 07, 2010
- Yeddyurappa-led delegation meets Jaiswal, demands more coal linkages for Karnataka - Mar 22, 2011
- Urban poor vulnerable to climate change: Kumari Selja - Oct 03, 2011
- India must manage energy demand efficiently: Shinde - May 05, 2010
- We cannot meet power firms' coal demands: Minister - Dec 01, 2011
- GOM to meet on power sector woes, PM offers help (Lead) - Jan 18, 2012
Tags: bhopal gas tragedy, carbon dioxide gas, coal, conservation of resources, dependence, efficiency, energy conservation, energy security, green house gas emissions, jaiswal, lal bahadur shastri, legislations, memorial foundation, New Delhi, power generation, power minister, power sector, self sufficiency, sunil, sushilkumar shinde