Power demand breaks record in DelhiMay 25th, 2012 - 9:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, May 25 (IANS) The sweltering heat forced Delhiites consume so much power that its demand, shooting up to 5,032 Megawatts (MW) Friday, broke all previous years’ records.
“The demand broke the previous record of 5,028 MW which was witnessed in August 2011. Earlier Thursday, the capital had witnessed a power demand of 4,823 MW which was the season’s highest,” a power department official said.
This year, the projected demand of power is 5,500 MW.
Over the past 12 years, there has been an upward trend in the demand for power in the capital.
The peak demand for power reached 2,831 MW in 2011 and has kept on increasing ever since.
While power distribution company BSES Yamuna Power Ltd reported the season’s highest power demand of 1,940 MW in its area, BSES Rajdhani Power Ltd reported its highest power demand, which touched 1,336 MW.
- Delhi's power demand scores to record 5,178 MW - Jun 01, 2012
- Delhi power demand reaches new high - Jun 26, 2012
- Power demand in Delhi reaches all-time high - Jun 22, 2012
- Delhi power demand reaches new high at 5,642 MW - Jul 05, 2012
- Delhi power demand reaches new all-time high - Jul 02, 2012
- Searing heat pushes power demand in Delhi to new high - Jun 21, 2012
- Distcom urges consumers to switch off on Earth Hour - Mar 28, 2012
- Delhi's BSES launches save power campaign - May 24, 2011
- LED bulbs to sell cheap in Delhi (Lead) - Jul 20, 2012
- Delhi sizzles, power demand highest ever (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Delhi to arrange for extra electricity from Damodar Valley Corp. - May 19, 2011
- As Delhi sizzles, power demand reaches to all-time high (Lead) - May 30, 2012
- Delhi offers concession on LED bulbs - Jul 20, 2012
- Thrifty power users in Delhi to get subsidy - Aug 30, 2011
- Delhi lives through another blistering day (Lead) - May 31, 2012