Power cuts, power holidays for Tamil NaduFebruary 26th, 2012 - 1:12 am ICT by IANS
Chennai, Feb 25 (IANS) Faced with acute power shortage of around 4,000 MW and the wrath of public for long power cuts, the Tamil Nadu power utility Saturday announced 40 percent power cut for all industrial and commercial users, two-hour cuts in Chennai city and suburbs and four hours for other rural and urban areas from Monday onwards.
In a statement issued here, the Tamil Nadu Generation and Distribution Ltd (Tangedco) announced restriction for power usage for commercial consumers between 6-10 p.m. All industries will be subjected to one day power holiday in a week from March 1 onwards.
According to Tangedco, the restrictions and controls will be implemented according to the local needs and will be suitably altered whenever required.
“Load shedding measures will be revised, depending upon the demand and supply gap,” the statement said.
According to Tangedco, the demand for power in Tamil Nadu is ranging from 11,500-12,500 MW, but the total availability from internal generation, share from central generating station and other sources is only 8,500 MW, leaving a gap of 3,000 - 4,000 MW.
While the power demand is increasing by 10 percent in the state, there has been no major capacity additions over the last several years, Tangedco said.
The various power projects, including the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project expected to be commissioned this year, are getting delayed for various reasons, the power company said.
The power deficit situation is likely to last for a few months and from June onwards with wind power generation picking up and power projects becoming functional one after the other, it will be possible to relax some of the restrictions, Tangedco said.
- Allot power, don't be callous, Jayalalithaa tells PM - Mar 09, 2012
- Jayalalithaa asks Prime Minister for power from central pool - Jun 06, 2011
- Jayalalithaa demands 1,000 MW power from Kudankulam unit - Aug 19, 2012
- Tamil Nadu power generator to float tenders for two power projects - Jan 30, 2012
- Wind power banking in Tamil Nadu is unbankable: Tangedco - Jun 17, 2012
- Kudankulam project gets Madras High Court's green signal (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- Windmill makers in Tamil Nadu accused of opaque pricing - Jun 15, 2012
- Tamil Nadu to annul Udangudi power joint venture soon - Jun 18, 2012
- Kudankulam project workers stopped, asked not to work - Oct 13, 2011
- Will try for amicable Kudankulam solution: Narayanasamy (Lead) - Oct 13, 2011
- 'Tamil Nadu power corp wrong on wind power banking loss' - Jun 22, 2012
- Power situation to improve from June: Jayalalithaa - Feb 04, 2012
- Jayalalithaa writes to PM, demands Kudankulam power - Apr 25, 2012
- Andhra seeks 500 MW to tide over power shortage - Aug 22, 2012
- Allot entire 2,000 MW Kudankulam power to Tamil Nadu: Jayalalithaa - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: capacity additions, commercial consumers, commercial users, demand and supply, distribution ltd, gap, generating station, holidays, last several years, march 1, measures, mw, nuclear power project, power projects, power shortage, restriction, rural and urban areas, wind power generation, wrath