‘Positive Sino-Indian ties good for Bangladesh’December 20th, 2010 - 2:38 pm ICT by IANS
Dhaka, Dec 20 (IANS) The positive outcome of last week’s Sino-Indian talks “should be heartily welcomed” by Bangladesh and augurs well for the South Asian region, a Dhaka daily says.The Daily Star commended the growing emphasis on economic ties between India and China taking precedence over their political differences.
Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao was in India Dec 15-17.
“The deeper the cooperation and collaboration in the economic field, the fewer are the chances of confrontation and the more the prospect of peace and harmony. The inevitable spin-off effect would in equal measure affect all the countries of the region, and the world, one hopes,” it said in an editorial Monday.
“We feel that it is an eminently positive development for the two Asian giants, and which many see as future world powers, to appreciate the very essential truth that in economic cooperation lies the vehicle of progress.
“It is an acknowledgment of the reality by the two countries that by drawing upon economic strength rather than competing militarily for strategic bonus can both avoid falling into the trap of the security dilemma which may prove counterproductive for both in the long run.”
It went on to say that “China-India bilateralism is a classic example of how to put aside contentious issues and exploit each other’s trade and business potential for mutual benefits. It is a lesson that the rest of South Asia can and should draw from”.
“For Bangladesh, more than any other country, what is important is how we make the most of our position between the two giants,” it observed.
Bangladesh Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina visited China in March, while Leader of Opposition Khaleda Zia is currently in Beijing.
- India, China eyeing intensifying partnership, continue boundary talks - Apr 14, 2011
- China, India to hold border talks - Jan 14, 2012
- Chinese daily foresees friendly India-China ties - Feb 21, 2012
- Chinese Premier Wen says his India visit will promote friendship - Dec 15, 2010
- 'Dhaka getting closer to Delhi, Beijing' - Jan 07, 2011
- China honors Yechury, eight other Indians for promoting bilateral friendship - Dec 15, 2010
- India, China accelerate diplomatic engagement amid simmering tension - Oct 23, 2010
- Chinese media harps on ties with India - Dec 17, 2010
- Some 400 Chinese business leaders accompanying Wen to India - Dec 13, 2010
- India should build n-deterrent against China: book - Aug 27, 2012
- China rejects rivalry, begins boundary talks - Jan 16, 2012
- India, China to hold economic dialogue Monday - Sep 23, 2011
- Chinese defence minister to visit India - Aug 30, 2012
- 'China, India military exchanges back on track' - Sep 03, 2012
- India-China friendship can change world: Yeo - Dec 20, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,