POSCO’s operating profit drops in Q1April 20th, 2012 - 5:30 pm ICT by IANS
Seoul, April 20 (IANS) South Korea’s top steelmaker Posco said Friday that its operating profit dropped in the first quarter due to weak demand and high feedstock costs.
Consolidated operating profit, which includes profits from its local and overseas affiliates, reached 801 billion won ($703 million) in the three months ending March 31, down 40.9 percent from a year earlier, according to a regulatory filing.
Sales edged up 0.4 percent year-on-year to 16.31 trillion won during the first quarter, but net profit tumbled 41.2 percent to 643 billion won, reported Xinhua.
“Contraction in revenues and operating profits stemmed mainly from weak demand for steel products amid global economic downturn and input of high-priced raw materials that were purchased last year,” Posco said in a statement.
The steelmaker noted that steel demand was forecast to increase in the second quarter thanks to the expected recovery in major industries such as auto and shipbuilding sectors, but the firm cautioned that uncertainties at home and abroad will remain for the time being.
Posco planned to spend 8.9 trillion won this year in investment for securing feedstock and expanding into overseas markets, placing its 2012 sales target at 70.6 trillion won.
Posco is South Korea’s leading steelmaker, and dominates the domestic steel market with a market share of over 40 percent in most of its product mix such as hot-rolled coil, heavy plate, wire rod, cold-rolled coil, electrical steel and stainless steel.
- Hyundai Motor posts operating profit - Jul 26, 2012
- Hyundai Motor posts $2 bn operating profit in Q1 - Apr 26, 2012
- Samsung Electronics' operating profit grows 13 percent in Q3 - Oct 28, 2011
- Tata Steel posts rise in hot metal, crude steel production - Jul 06, 2010
- LG Electronics' earnings turns into red in Q3 - Oct 26, 2011
- Samsung Electronics posts operating profit - Jul 27, 2012
- Samsung Electronics expects record operating profit - Jul 06, 2012
- Samsung Electronics posts $5 bn operating profit - Apr 27, 2012
- South Korean firms' profitability weakens in 2011 - Apr 23, 2012
- Wheels India to invest Rs.70 crore on expansion - Oct 27, 2011
- South Korean firms' profitability weakens in Q3 - Dec 20, 2011
- Moody's revises down POSCO's rating outlook - Nov 03, 2011
- LG Electronics posts operating profit - Jul 25, 2012
- LG Electronics posts $394 mn operating profit - Apr 25, 2012
- Tinplate rules out merger with Tata Steel - May 07, 2010
Tags: contraction, domestic steel, economic downturn, electrical steel, feedstock, hot rolled coil, net profit, operating profit, overseas affiliates, overseas markets, posco, quarter thanks, sales target, shipbuilding, south korea, steel demand, steel market, steel products, steelmaker, xinhua