Political instability leading to job loss: Goa industryApril 5th, 2009 - 5:05 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, April 5 (IANS) The Goa Chamber of Commerce and Industry has said growing political instability and a 15 percent drop in the tourism sector have led to nearly 100,000 people in the state losing their jobs.
Alongside, according to chamber president Nitin Kunkolienkar, “rising civic unrest” was proving to be a deterrent for setting up new industries in this picturesque Goa.
“There is a 10-15 percent drop in the tourism sector. We have about one lakh unemployed youth in the state,” Kunkolienkar said Saturday in his address at the closing ceremony of the year-long centenary celebrations of the chamber.
“No major industries are coming to Goa, while we are busy protesting and agitating.”
Maintaining that a “handful of protestors were holding the state to ransom”, Kunkolienkar said: “Protesting is becoming a fashion. Goa is getting a bad name because of drugs. People coming here on vacations are disappearing. And yet these protestors do not raise a voice against this.”
Kunkolienkar also said special economic zones (SEZ) could be an answer to Goa’s economic and employment woes. “But these SEZ should have non-polluting industries like IT or pharmaceutical companies.”
- Goa makes bid to attract investment - Jun 22, 2012
- States' demand for 'green bonus' legitimate: Ashwani Kumar - Apr 09, 2012
- SEZs would have doubled Goa's population: Minister - Jul 24, 2012
- Goa looks for eco-friendly, sound proposals at investors' meet - Jun 28, 2012
- Goa industry unhappy with budget - Mar 16, 2012
- Goa's SEZ policies creating 'monsters':Industry body - Dec 06, 2010
- Assocham for tax sops to promote SEZs - Apr 22, 2012
- Mamata wants Hong Kong style 'financial district' in Goa - Feb 06, 2012
- 'Smaller SEZs could have worked for Goa' - Dec 18, 2010
- Goa aim to convert students from job seekers to job givers - Jun 21, 2012
- PAC to probe 2006 land allotment for SEZs - May 25, 2011
- Bengal against SEZs, minister tells Infosys - Feb 20, 2012
- 28 countries, 400 buyers to participate in Goa travel mart - Oct 19, 2011
- 'Land crunch could force Goa builders to look outside' - Jun 08, 2011
- Goa's land scam haunts two Congress ex-chief ministers - Dec 06, 2011
Tags: centenary celebrations, chamber of commerce, chamber of commerce and industry, chamber president, civic unrest, closing ceremony, economic zones, goa, handful, nitin, panaji, pharmaceutical companies, political instability, polluting industries, protestors, ransom, tourism sector, unemployed youth, vacations, woes