Policy matters, iron ore sourcing delaying steel plant: JSW SteelJanuary 10th, 2012 - 12:44 am ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Jan 9 (IANS) JSW Steel Monday said implementation of its proposed 10 million tonnes plant at Salboni in West Midnapore district of West Bengal is being delayed due to issues related to policy matters and iron ore sourcing.
“There are still a few policy matters that need to be sorted out. The honourable chief minister (Mamata Banerjee) and the honourable industry minister (Partha Chatterjee) just now confirmed that they will take up with the Centre to resolve all those policy matters,” JSW Steel chairman Sajjan Jindal told reporters on the sidelines of, “Bengal Leads 2012″, an exhibition-cum-business summit organised by the West Bengal government, here.
As Bengal is bereft of iron ore reserves, the company will have to depend on the raw material from the neighbouring states like Odisha and Jharkhand.
“At the moment there is no national policy on iron ore and it is becoming increasingly difficult to get iron ore from a different state. We are in talks with NMDC (National Mineral Development Corporation)….they are not in Orissa, they are in Chhattisgarh and they are very far from West Bengal….but there are private mining companies which are willing to supply iron ore to the steel plant.” Jindal said.
The chairman of the leading steel maker in India also said he was not in favour of mineral resources being exported out of the country.
“I’ve been very vocal for a long time that mineral resources must not be exported out of the country. It must get value-added within the country, we must export value-added product…I’m not in favour of exporting steel,” he said.
- Chhattisgarh seeks ban on iron ore exports - Jul 20, 2010
- Sajjan Jindal's Bengal steel project to start soon - Jul 11, 2012
- JSW Steel to start on Salboni project after Puja: Jindal - Sep 10, 2011
- Central government in favour of banning iron ore exports - Jul 31, 2010
- Action likely against Jindal firm for violating apex court order - Aug 02, 2011
- Steel ministry subsidy scheme for iron ore processing - Mar 26, 2012
- Bengal government to sort out JSW's plant problems - Oct 29, 2011
- JSW Steel scales down production to 30 percent - Sep 26, 2011
- NMDC to open new iron ore mine in Chhattisgarh - Jul 29, 2011
- JSW Steel's Salboni project to 'restart' in August: Bengal minister - Jul 25, 2012
- NMDC to acquire coking coal mine in Russia - Sep 24, 2011
- Karnataka steel industry seeks more iron ore - Sep 29, 2011
- Bengal government's bid to regularise JSW's land (Lead) - Aug 11, 2011
- Bengal to vest 270 acres from JSW Steel - Aug 10, 2011
- Illegal mining by Adani, Jindal group to be probed: Apex court - Nov 18, 2011
Tags: banerjee, business summit, chhattisgarh, honourable chief minister, industry minister, iron ore, jharkhand, jindal, jsw steel, midnapore district, mineral development, mineral resources, mining companies, neighbouring states, ore reserves, partha, sajjan, steel maker, steel plant, west bengal government