Police to question 10 Maruti union leaders for a weekAugust 2nd, 2012 - 5:50 pm ICT by IANS
Gurgaon, Aug 2 (IANS) Ten Maruti Suzuki union leaders were Thursday sent to police custody for seven days by a court here for their alleged role in the July 18 violence at the Manesar plant that left an executive dead.
The accused were arrested Wednesday, taking the number of people held in the case to 114.
Those arrested Wednesday were Sandeep Dhillon (union’s patron), Rammehar Singh (president), Sohan Singh (vice president), Sarvjeet Singh (general secretary), Suresh Kumar, Ajmer Singh, Pawan Kumar, Ram Bilas, Amarjeet and Pradeep Kumar.
Police presented the 10 accused before Civil Judge-cum-Judicial Magistrate Yachna Kaur Nagpal and sought their remand for 14 days.
But the court allowed only seven days of custody to police.
The two other leaders held earlier are Yogesh Yadav and Dhanraj Bhambi. They are in judicial custody.
The accused said police could torture them and demanded video recording of their questioning during police remand. Their plea would be heard by court Saturday.
Maruti’s senior executive Awanish Kumar Dev was killed and nearly 100 people were injured when the workers went on a rampage July 18. The plant has shut down operations after the incident.
- 10 Maruti union leaders arrested - Aug 01, 2012
- Maruti incident will not hamper investments in Harayana: Hooda - Aug 05, 2012
- Maruti worker sent to police custody for 5 days - Aug 16, 2012
- Cleaning exercise begins at Maruti factory - Jul 21, 2012
- Mahapanchayat demands CBI probe into Maruti violence - Jul 23, 2012
- Trade unions to march in support of Maruti workers - Aug 16, 2012
- Maruti management thanks locals for support - Aug 16, 2012
- Trade unions demand end of Maruti lockout, CBI probe - Aug 04, 2012
- SIT to probe fresh violence in Maruti Manesar plant (Lead) - Jul 19, 2012
- SIT to probe Maruti's fresh violence - Jul 19, 2012
- 'Maruti executive paid for another officer's remarks' - Jul 27, 2012
- 'Police did not intervene in July 18 violence' - Jul 31, 2012
- Maruti Suzuki to resume operations at Manesar soon - Aug 14, 2012
- Maruti to decide on restarting Manesar plant - Aug 12, 2012
- Maruti's Manesar plant incident was a criminal act: Suzuki - Aug 23, 2012
Tags: ajmer, aug 2, bilas, civil judge, dhanraj, dhillon, general secretary, judicial custody, judicial magistrate, maruti suzuki, nagpal, pawan kumar, police remand, pradeep kumar, sandeep, sohan, suresh kumar, union leaders, video recording, yadav