PM to open container terminal in KeralaFebruary 6th, 2011 - 2:04 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Feb 6 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh will Feb 11 inaugurate a Rs.3,250 crore International Container Transshipment Terminal (ICTT) at Vallarpadam, off Kochi coast. It is billed as the largest single-operator container terminal in the country. Manmohan Singh laid the foundation stone for the project in February 2005.
The terminal has been developed on a build-operate-transfer (BOT) basis by the Dubai Port World (DPW), which won a global tender after quoting a gross revenue share of 33.3 percent to the Cochin Port Trust (CPT).
“Investment to the tune of Rs.1,650 crore has come from the central government while the DPW invested Rs.1,600 crore. In the second phase, DPW would bring in Rs.3,000 crore. As things stand, the entire project would be over by 2015,” said CPT chairman N. Ramachandran.
Vallarpadam is situated next to the Bolghatty Island and is about 3.5 km in length and is a km away from the mainland.
“To start with, the quay length of ICTT is 600 meters, which would go up to 1,200 in the next one year. By the end of the second phase, the length would be 1,800 meters. The total number of containers handled in the first phase would be one million. When fully operational, it would touch four million containers annually,” said Ramachandran.
In revenue sharing model, the CPT will get the vessel related income while the cargo income will go to DPW. The BOT is for 30 years.
“As a result of this project, transhipment would take place here and we would not have to rely on ports like Colombo, Dubai and Singapore. This would bring down the cost of freight of a container by $300 and also the transshipment time will come down by almost 10 days,” said Ramachandran.
- PM inaugurates mega transhipment terminal in Kerala - Feb 11, 2011
- Manmohan Singh to inaugurate Kochi international container terminal tomorrow - Feb 10, 2011
- PM to inaugurate Kochi international container terminal - Feb 11, 2011
- Vallarpadam ICTT to be commissioned in August - May 25, 2010
- Manmohan Singh to dedicate new Kerala port to nation on Feb.11 - Feb 07, 2011
- Dubai World's default won't hit us: Kochi port chief - Nov 27, 2009
- Prime Minister to inaugurate Vallarpadam container terminal on February 11 - Feb 06, 2011
- Rs.750 crore sanctioned for ship repair unit in Kerala - Sep 14, 2012
- Kochi now connected to Europe by ship - Nov 14, 2011
- Vallarpadam container terminal to be commissioned in 2010's first quarter - Oct 10, 2009
- Gantries reach Kochi port after three-week wait - Jul 16, 2010
- Kochi connected to China via weekly cargo vessel - Dec 19, 2011
- India's longest railway bridge nearing completion at Kochi - Jul 18, 2009
- DP World seeks close trade ties with India - Oct 14, 2011
- Mega container terminal for Chennai port approved - Oct 12, 2010
Tags: cochin port trust, container terminal, cpt, dpw, entire project, foundation stone, global tender, gross revenue, international container, kochi, manmohan, manmohan singh, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, ramachandran, revenue share, rs 1, second phase, transhipment, transshipment