PM refers tax on portfolio investments to GAAR CommitteeJuly 30th, 2012 - 9:19 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 30 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Monday referred the issue of implications of amendment to taxation of portfolio investment on FIIs and portfolio investors to the Expert Committee on general anti-avoidance rule or GAAR.
The amendment to the Income Tax Act relates to the taxation of non-resident transfer of assets where the underlying asset is in India.
The government feels clarity is needed on the tax liability of portfolio investors and Foreign Institutional Investors as a result of this amendment particularly when the investment is made through a registered stock exchange in accordance with Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) guidelines and purely in the form of portfolio investment.
Any clarification needs to be harmonised with the GAAR guidelines and will have to address any residual concerns outside of GAAR.
The prime minister had constituted an expert commitee on GAAR under the chairmanship of senior tax expert Partho Shome to engage in a widespread consultation process and finalise GAAR guidelines.
The committee was formed after the proposed guidelines created ripples among investors and net foreign institutional investment plummeted.
The terms of reference for the expert committee were examination of the draft guidelines, consultations with stakeholders, redrafting the guidelines and then putting up the redrafted guidelines for further consultation.
- GAAR panel expanded to cover non-resident tax payers - Sep 01, 2012
- Defer GAAR by three years, suggests Shome Committee (Lead) - Sep 01, 2012
- PM sets up experts panel to review, rework GAAR - Jul 13, 2012
- P-notes holders will not be taxed: Mukherjee - Mar 30, 2012
- GAAR panel will certainly meet Sep 30 deadline: Shome - Jul 21, 2012
- Comments invited on new tax rules, PM to take final call (Second lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- India defers implementing GAAR for a year - May 07, 2012
- Chidambaram to fine-tune investment policies, spur growth (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- GST bill can be passed in current fiscal: Chidambaram - Aug 28, 2012
- Govt invites comments on GAAR, PM to take final call (Lead) - Jun 29, 2012
- India defers GAAR by a year (Lead) - May 07, 2012
- Chidambaram hints at modifying tax norms, cut deficit (Roundup) - Aug 06, 2012
- Investment climate to be restored within two-three months: Moily - Jul 24, 2012
- GAAR adding to investors' anxiety: ICRA - Apr 26, 2012
- PM for wide consultation on GAAR - Jun 29, 2012
Tags: chairmanship, commitee, consultation process, draft guidelines, exchange board, expert committee, fiis, foreign institutional investors, income tax act, institutional investment, manmohan, manmohan singh, portfolio investment, portfolio investments, portfolio investors, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sebi guidelines, securities and exchange board of india, tax expert