PM confers honorary doctorate on Azim PremjiAugust 18th, 2012 - 8:51 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Aug 18 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Saturday conferred an honorary doctorate on eminent industrialist and Wipro chairman Azim Premji at the golden jubilee of Indian Institute of Technology-Bombay (IIT-B).
Premji was selected for the honour, the degree of doctor of science (honoris causa), for his “extraordinary commitment and contribution to trade and industry, for furthering the cause of values of business ethics and for his philanthropy and far-reaching vision”.
During the convocation, 2,006 degrees were awarded to successful students, said IIT-B director Devang Khakhar.
He said 55 students received medals in different categories, with the President of India Medal bagged by Kamath Pritish Uday of computer science and engineering, the Dr. Shankar Dayal Sharma Gold Medal awarded to John Joy of mechanical engineering department and the Institute Gold Medal going to Yashovardhan Sushil Chati of aerospace engineering department.
The prime minister gave away the honours and delivered the golden jubilee convocation address as the chief guest on the occasion.
Union Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal, Maharashtra Governor K. Sankaranarayanan, Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan, IIT-B Board of Governors’ chairman Anil Kakodkar and other dignitaries were also present on the occasion.
- Jamia to confer Doctor of Letters degree to Dalai Lama - Nov 22, 2010
- Ex-IITian NRI's $5 mn gift to cancer research project - Jan 27, 2012
- President to visit Bengal from Friday - Sep 13, 2012
- IGNOU to honour Dalai Lama - Aug 25, 2011
- PAU to confer honorary degree on Tajikistan president - Aug 27, 2012
- Eight IIM-B graduates awarded gold medals - Mar 30, 2012
- What happened to PM's honorary degree? - Jul 28, 2011
- IIT, TIFR to set up National Centre for Mathematics - Sep 16, 2010
- Manmohan Singh to address IIT Kanpur's annual convocation - Jul 03, 2010
- Honorary Indian Institute of Technology doctorate for Rata Tata - Aug 08, 2008
- Dalai Lama to inaugurate IGNOU's Tibetan study centre - Aug 30, 2011
- Mauritius PM heads to India - Feb 04, 2012
- Odisha entrepreneur conferred honorary doctorate in Taiwan - Jun 11, 2012
- Pratibha Patil in Bangalore on three-day visit - Aug 05, 2011
- Jamia to confer honorary degree to UN chief - Apr 25, 2012
Tags: aerospace engineering department, anil kakodkar, chati, convocation address, devang, doctor of science, golden jubilee, honorary doctorate, human resource development, indian institute of technology bombay, kapil sibal, manmohan singh, mechanical engineering department, premji, president of india, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, sankaranarayanan, science honoris causa, shankar dayal sharma