PM condoles Sivakasi fire victimsSeptember 5th, 2012 - 8:57 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Sep 5 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday expressed deep shock over the Sivakasi firecracker tragedy in Tamil Nadu and condoled the deaths in the accident.
“The prime minister has expressed deep shock over the Sivakasi fireworks tragedy in which many lives were lost in Tamil Nadu this (Wednesday) morning,” said a release from prime minister’s office.
Manmohan Singh said he stood with the people of Tamil Nadu in the hour of grief and conveyed his “heartfelt condolences” to the members of the bereaved families.
The prime minister also announced an ex-gratia payment of Rs.two lakh to the next of kin of each of the deceased and Rs.50,000 to those seriously injured in the fire.
At least 30 people were killed and more than 50 injured Wednesday when an explosion tore through a fireworks factory in Sivakasi in Tamil Nadu, triggering a major fire.
- 33 die as firecracker factory catches fire (Fourth Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- 36 die as firecracker factory catches fire (Fifth Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Blaze at fireworks factory in southern India kills 38, injures 60 - Sep 06, 2012
- 30 dead as flames engulf firecracker factory (Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- 12 held for fireworks factory blaze, probe ordered (Lead) - Sep 06, 2012
- PM condoles deaths in Tamil Nadu train fire (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- PM mourns deaths in Kolkata fire, sanctions relief - Dec 09, 2011
- 30 dead as flames engulf firecracker factory (Third Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Six arrested for Sivakasi fire tragedy - Sep 06, 2012
- Sivakasi blast: NHRC notice to Tamil Nadu - Sep 07, 2012
- 30 dead as flames engulf firecracker factory (Second Lead) - Sep 05, 2012
- Hamid Ansari, Chidambaram condole death of Sabarimala pilgrims - Jan 15, 2011
- PM expresses grief over loss of lives in Leh flash floods - Aug 06, 2010
- Sonia, Gadkari express shock at Sabarimala tragedy - Jan 15, 2011
- Three killed after falling from overcrowded Mumbai train (Lead) - Apr 19, 2012
Tags: bereaved families, deaths, explosion tore through, fire victims, firecracker, fireworks factory, grief, heartfelt condolences, lakh, manmohan, manmohan singh, New Delhi, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, shock, sivakasi fireworks, tragedy, wednesday morning