PM calls for revival of ‘animal spirit’ in economyJune 27th, 2012 - 9:58 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 27 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh Wednesday called for revival of “animal spirit” in the economy and directed the officials to take measures to revive sentiments of domestic as well as global investors.
The prime minister convened a meeting of top economic policy makers after taking charge of the crucial finance portfolio Wednesday.
Chief economic advisor at the finance ministry Kaushik Basu, chairman of the Prime Minister’s economic advisory council C. Rajgarajan and five secretaries from the finance ministry called on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at his office.
“Reverse the climate of pessimism…revive the animal spirit in the country’s economy,” Singh told the policy makers during the meeting.
Prime Minister’s Office has taken charge of the finance ministry following the resignation of Pranab Mukherjee, who is nominated by the ruling coalition as its presidential candidate.
“Immediate emphasis is to manage balance of payment for which all policies should be directed to help institutional flows to India,” the prime minister said.
“In the short run, we need to revive investor sentiment - both domestic and international,” he added.
- PM directs steps to revive growth and reverse pessimism (Roundup) - Jun 27, 2012
- Rekindling hopes: Manmohan signals a course correction (News Analysis) - Jul 01, 2012
- We will restore growth, investor confidence: PM - Jul 06, 2012
- Raghuram Rajan takes over as Chief Economic Advisor - Aug 29, 2012
- Inflation to soften by mid-October: Kaushik Basu - Jul 03, 2012
- Pranab to sell India's growth story on US visit (Lead) - Jun 26, 2011
- PM takes charge of economy, sends 'clear signal' to investors - Jul 08, 2012
- Food inflation may soon drop below 3 percent, says Kaushik Basu - Dec 14, 2011
- Time calls Manmohan an underachiever (Lead) - Jul 08, 2012
- Business sentiments worse than reality: Adi Godrej (Interview) - Apr 23, 2012
- Kaushik's remark triggers political slugfest (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Political slugfest over 'no more reforms' remark (Lead) - Apr 20, 2012
- Chidambaram assumes charge of finance - Aug 01, 2012
- Inter-ministerial group discusses inflation - Sep 02, 2011
- Economic growth will fall below 6 percent: Kaushik Basu - Jul 31, 2012
Tags: animal spirit, balance of payment, economic advisor, economic advisory council, economic policy makers, finance ministry, finance portfolio, global investors, investor sentiment, manmohan, manmohan singh, pessimism, pranab mukherjee, presidential candidate, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, resignation, revival, secretaries, sentiments