Piramal starts testing of diabetes drug in EuropeMay 13th, 2008 - 7:03 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, May 13 (IANS) Piramal Life Sciences Ltd, part of the Piramal Group of companies, has commenced the clinical study of its P1736, a drug meant for the treatment of diabetes (type II), in the Netherlands. Announcing this here Tuesday, the company said the oral drug would be tested on 72 normal, healthy volunteers to determine the safety and tolerance of the glucose lowering compound, P1736.
Piramal earlier submitted the clinical trial application (CTA) for P1736 to the Netherlands regulatory agency, the Central Commission on Medical Research Involving Human Subjects (CCMO) and the Independent Ethics Committee of the Foundation Evaluation of Ethics in Biomedical Research (BEBO).
Both these panls have approved the company’s application to initiate the phase I study of P1736.
The company also said that an oral presentation of the pre-clinical data pertaining to this compound will be made at the forthcoming congress of the American Diabetes Association (ADA), to be convened in June this year at San Francisco in the US.
Piramal managing director Somesh Sharma said the company was the sixth entity to enter the clinical trials for the diseases wherein there is a dearth of proper medicine.
- PLSL completes Phase I Trials for Diabetes in Europe - Aug 25, 2009
- Piramal completes first phase trial of new diabetes medicine - Aug 25, 2009
- Malaria drug 'may slow pancreatic cancer growth' - Mar 16, 2011
- Piramal initiates course in clinical research at Harvard - Aug 15, 2012
- Clinical drug trial centres in Andhra to be probed - Jun 25, 2011
- Compound extracted from tree 'can help fight leukemia' - Dec 14, 2010
- 22 people died during clinical trials - Aug 09, 2011
- New research paves way for better Graves' disease treatment - Dec 02, 2010
- Sunless tanning spray may help heal post-surgery wounds - Jun 01, 2010
- 2 tests better than 1 for diagnosing diabetes in overweight children - May 03, 2011
- Small molecule may deactivate enemy of cancer-fighting p53 - Dec 08, 2010
- Cannabis can help treat obesity - Jul 08, 2012
- Compound used to treat nicotine addiction may also fight alcoholism - Oct 24, 2010
- Taking the needle out of diabetes - Nov 07, 2011
- Soft drink could boost effects of anti-cancer drug - Oct 14, 2010
Tags: american diabetes association, association ada, biomedical research, ccmo, clinical trial, cta, dearth, diabetes drug, diabetes type ii, foundation evaluation, glucose, human subjects, independent ethics, medical research, oral drug, oral presentation, proper medicine, regulatory agency, treatment of diabetes, trial application