Pine bark extract reduces jetlagNovember 6th, 2008 - 2:17 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, November 6 (ANI): A bark extract from the French maritime pine tree can help reduce jet lag in passengers by nearly 50 percent, reveals a new study.
The study, carried out by G. D”Annunzio University in Pescara, Italy, and involving a brain CT scan and a scoring system, found that Pycnogenol reduced symptoms.
The findings included symptoms, found in both healthy individuals and hypertensive patients, such as fatigue, headaches, insomnia and brain edema (swelling), lower leg edema - a common condition associated with long flights.
The survey comprised of 133 passengers, taking flights having seven to nine hours duration, who had been administered with 50 mg of oral Pycnogenol three times daily, for seven days, starting two days prior to the flight.
The two-part research, which split passengers into categories of the Pycnogenol and the control, found a significant reduction of all jetlag signs and symptoms by 56 per cent in the Pycnogenol group as compared to the untreated control group.
Dr. Gianni Belcaro, a lead researcher of the study, said: “I”m encouraged by the results of the study as Pycnogenol was effective in preventing jetlag related effects without any side-effects.
The study, that sees Pycnogenol as a budding natural and safe option for long distance travellers, was published in the journal of Minerva Cardioangiologica. (ANI)
- Pine bark reduces jet lag - Nov 06, 2008
- Pine bark effective in relieving tinnitus symptoms - Oct 14, 2010
- Pine bark extract 'reduces BP, counteracts kidney damage caused by hypertension' - Mar 04, 2010
- Pine bark extract relieves acute hemorrhoids symptoms - Jan 13, 2010
- Pine bark extract may help treat early diabetic retinopathy - Dec 03, 2009
- Pine bark extract naturally reduces hay fever symptoms - Jun 24, 2010
- Pine bark extract naturally reduces osteoarthritis - Apr 17, 2008
- Pine bark extract improves kidney function in patients with metabolic syndrome - Mar 02, 2011
- Pine-bark extract offers no heart benefit: Study - Sep 28, 2010
- Tobacco-derived compound prevents memory loss in Alzheimer's - Apr 28, 2011
- 'Homoeopathy growing at 30 percent annually in India' - Sep 11, 2011
- Pine bark extract 'helps reduce inflammation' - Jul 16, 2009
- 'Gene fix' to treat depression - Oct 22, 2010
- Pine bark naturally reduces knee osteoarthritis symptoms - Sep 04, 2008
- Testosterone therapy can overcome male menopause - Oct 03, 2011
Tags: brain ct scan, brain edema, control group, d annunzio, fatigue, french maritime pine, gianni belcaro, headaches, hypertensive patients, insomnia, jet lag, jetlag, lower leg edema, minerva, pescara italy, pine bark extract, pine tree, pycnogenol, scoring system, seven days