Piano played by Beatles on saleJuly 21st, 2010 - 5:18 pm ICT by IANS
London, July 21 (IANS) A piano played by the Beatles, Pink Floyd and other popular bands is expected to fetch 150,000 pounds in an auction in Britain next month.
The instrument, which was played by the Beatles on some of their most famous tracks, was bought by the Abbey Road studio in 1964 and stood in Studio III, where it was also used by other bands including Pink Floyd, Daily Mail reported Wednesday.
The piano was retired in 1980 and obtained by its current owner, who is selling it at a Bonhams auction at Goodwood in West Sussex Aug 15. Also in the sale are copies of The Beatles Book magazine, which include photographs of Paul McCartney at the piano.
In one picture McCartney plays the piano while John Lennon, George Harrison and Beatles producer George Martin stand round it.
Made of teak, the piano features a third ‘tack’ effects pedal, used by Lennon and McCartney to shorten the notes.
Stephen Maycock, the consultant specialist for Beatles memorabilia at Bonhams, said: “Studio III was the smallest and the Beatles regularly used it and we know they recorded certain songs there using the piano.”
Maycock added: “I think it is the first instrument from the Abbey Road Studios to come on the open market.
“Without its association with the studios it would be worth a very modest sum. It is a bit battered and is covered in stains and cigarette burns.
“The piano was just a tool of the trade and it has been used and abused - but that gives it character.
“It still plays although it would perhaps benefit from a professional tuner having a listen. Pink Floyd recorded their album ‘Wish You Were Here’ in Studio III so the piano is likely to have been used on that.”
- Piano Played By Beatles Goes For Auction On August 15 - Aug 14, 2010
- Beatles legendary piano up for sale, asking price is 150,000 Pounds - Aug 03, 2010
- Beatles Piano Up For Sale At Memorabilia Auction - Aug 03, 2010
- Piano Played By The Beatles And Pink Floyd Up For Auction - Aug 03, 2010
- Jackie's Jewels To Go Under The Hammer - Aug 11, 2010
- The Beatles' grand piano up for grabs - Jul 21, 2010
- Paul McCartney was inspiration by father - Jan 30, 2012
- Pink Floyd to unite for London Olympics? - Jan 04, 2012
- The Beatles music being immortalised in Rock Band game - Mar 06, 2009
- Techno Pink Floyd anyone? - Aug 20, 2010
- Macca, John Lennon 'planned Beatles reunion' - Jul 13, 2009
- Thirty years on, he's still the real Nowhere Man (Tribute) (Dec 8 is John Lennon's death anniversary) - Dec 07, 2010
- Liam Gallagher to make a film on Beatles' drug years - May 08, 2010
- Joe Walsh and Paul McCartney get standing ovation at the Grammy Awards - Feb 14, 2012
- Now The Beatles video game - Mar 15, 2009
Tags: abbey road studio, abbey road studios, beatles, beatles book, beatles memorabilia, bonhams auction, cigarette burns, consultant specialist, daily mail, george harrison, goodwood, john lennon, paul mccartney, photographs, pink floyd, producer george martin, stains, sussex, tool of the trade, west sussex