PIA paid close to Rs 2 crores penalty for transporting illegal passengers abroadDecember 27th, 2008 - 5:52 pm ICT by ANI
Islamabad, Dec.27 (ANI): As if its fragile financial health was not bad enough, the Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) has landed itself the dubious distinction of being forced to shell out close to Rs 2 crores for transporting illegal passengers abroad.
According to a latest report by the Auditor General of Pakistan Revenue (AGP), the PIA has paid the massive amount as penalty for carrying illegal passengers.
PIA has paid 17.066 million rupees between 2004 and 2006 for transporting passengers without legal documents to five countries, the Daily Times said quoting the 2007-08 annual report of the Auditor General of Pakistan Revenue (AGP).
Fines were paid to local authorities in between 2004 and 2006 in five cities - New York, Amsterdam, Doha, Jeddah and London, the report added.
The report also revealed that PIA paid 14.926 million rupees as compensation for lost baggage and 227.285 million rupees for food and accommodation for passengers due to flight delays at various stations.
The AGP report lamented the management of PIA for the huge losses it has incurred over the years.
The losses were incurred due to sheer negligence and inefficient management of the PIA staff and the management should investigate and find those responsible, it said. (ANI)
- Come up with new business plan: Gilani to PIA - Dec 30, 2011
- Audit reports unearths massive 500 m rupee financial scam in PCB - Mar 20, 2010
- PIA staffers to stage nationwide protests - Nov 11, 2011
- Rs 14.4 billion irregularities found in Pakistan Railways' accounts - Oct 21, 2009
- Pakistani airline strike disrupts 120 flights - Feb 10, 2011
- Rs.500,000 salary for 150 PIA officials - Sep 15, 2011
- Government refutes loss claims over Delhi airport (Roundup) - Aug 17, 2012
- Pakistan International Airlines under Rs.1.1 trillion debt - Nov 23, 2010
- Pakistani plane diverted as man suffers stroke - Jun 12, 2011
- Pakistani dies of heart attack on plane - Apr 13, 2012
- Pakistan Auditor General finds massive irregularities in ERRA accounts - Nov 29, 2010
- PIA flight full, so two get seats in loo instead - Feb 15, 2012
- A-G report unearths massive irregularities in Pakistan's defence expenditure - Sep 25, 2010
- Pakistani airline sacks its most expensive employee - Jul 11, 2012
- Himachal needs policy to check illegal mining - Apr 07, 2012
Tags: accommodation, amsterdam, annual report, doha, dubious distinction, financial health, flight delays, illegal passengers, jeddah, legal documents, local authorities, london, losses, negligence, pakistan international airlines, rs 2, rupees