Philippine GDP growth slows in 2011January 30th, 2012 - 1:27 pm ICT by IANS
Manila, Jan 30 (IANS) The Philippine economy slowed to 3.7 percent in 2011, dragged down by lower government spending, declining exports and slack farm growth.
“Amidst the obstinate exogenous economic woes, the government underspending on infrastructure in the second and third quarters and the sustained decline in fishing, the domestic economy grew in 2011 by a relatively feeble 3.7 percent compared to 7.6 percent in 2010,” the National Statistical Coordination Board (NSCB) said Monday.
The actual figures, however, is within the 3.6 to 4 percent growth estimate presented last week by the National Economic and Development Authority (NEDA), reported Xinhua.
The NSCB also said the GDP growth in the fourth quarter alone eased to 3.7 percent on year as compared to the 6.1 percent annual growth posted in the fourth quarter of 2010.
The rise in consumer spending, steady growth in the booming outsourcing industry and the government’s stimulus package released in the fourth quarter of the year limited last year’s slowdown.
But the NSCB said these factors failed to offset impact of global economic woes that reduced the country’s export revenues and the typhoons that damaged farm production.
- Indian economy grows at a sluggish 5.5 percent in Q1 (Lead) - Aug 31, 2012
- US economic growth accelerates - Jan 28, 2012
- Spanish economy back in recession - Apr 24, 2012
- India growth increased strongly in Q4: IMF - Mar 14, 2012
- Indian economy may grow at 8 percent in 2012-13: Rangarajan (Lead) - Feb 22, 2012
- Economic growth revised upwards to 7.1 percent - Feb 22, 2012
- India showed strong growth amid global slowdown: IMF - Mar 15, 2012
- Brazil's accumulated GDP slows - Jun 04, 2011
- Spanish economy shrinks - Aug 29, 2012
- US economic growth revised down to 1.8 percent - Dec 22, 2011
- Japan's GDP growth lowered to 5.6 percent - Dec 09, 2011
- China's quarterly GDP growth expected to drop below 9 percent - Jan 16, 2012
- China's quarterly GDP growth to drop below 9 percent - Jan 16, 2012
- Spain cuts 2011 growth forecast - Nov 17, 2011
- Business confidence on the decline: CII survey - Sep 04, 2011
Tags: consumer spending, domestic economy, economic woes, export revenues, fourth quarter, gdp, gdp growth, government spending, national economic and development authority, national statistical coordination board, neda, nscb, outsourcing industry, philippine economy, quarters, slowdown, statistical coordination, stimulus package, typhoons, xinhua