Peugeot’s India-assembled car to hit roads by 2014January 5th, 2012 - 6:48 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 5 (IANS) French car maker Peugeot Thursday said it plans to roll out locally assembled units of its various models in the Indian market by 2014.
“We will start with completely built units (CBUs) next year and then follow it up with Peugeot 508, which will be locally assembled and then go to different segments, starting from C-segment (sedan) and then later B-segment,” PCA Motors India managing director Frederic Fabre told reporters at the 11th Auto Expo here.
Peugeot 508 is a large family car, and Fabre said that depending on the demand for it the company could also import the 508 model before local assembling begins in India.
Peugeot was present in India through a joint venture with Premier Automobiles nearly a decade ago. The venture was wound up in 2001.
Among the cars the company showcased at the expo were — Peugeot 508, Peugeot 3008, Peugeot 3008 Hybrid and its concept RCZ Sports Coupe.
Asked if the company planned to bring in small cars to the Indian market to cater to the huge demand, Fabre said Peugeot will first look at introducing its higher models as per its “top down” approach.
The company plans to expand its distribution footprint to all major cities.
“During the initial stage, we plan to be present in the main cities of India,” Fabre said, adding that at least 100 cities should be targeted.
Peugeot had entered into an agreement with the Gujarat government last year, to set up a manufacturing facility with an investment of Rs.4,000 crore in Sanand. The facility will have a capacity of 170,000 units.
- French auto giant PSA Peugeot to invest Rs.4,000 crore in Tamil Nadu - Jun 29, 2011
- Peugeot to set up Rs.4000 crore facility in Gujarat - Sep 02, 2011
- Skoda launches Rapid sedan - Nov 16, 2011
- Usha sells stake in Honda Siel Cars to Honda Motor - Aug 10, 2012
- New launches to dazzle visitors at Auto Expo - Jan 01, 2012
- Fiat launches new versions of Linea and Punto - Jan 04, 2012
- Budget impact: Toyota Kirloskar to increase prices - Mar 16, 2012
- Not shying from investing in Haryana plants: Maruti Suzuki - Nov 03, 2011
- Yamaha to set up Rs.1,500 crore plant in Tamil Nadu - May 14, 2012
- Renault bets on diesel models to beat competition - Dec 18, 2011
- Mega-launches, big-ticket announcements at Delhi Auto Expo - Jan 03, 2012
- Toyota plans to open a second plant in Russia - Sep 22, 2010
- Nissan unveils multi-purpose vehicle Evalia - Jan 05, 2012
- Mercedes to increase investments to Rs.850 crore - Sep 05, 2012
- Ford India to benefit from economies of scale - Sep 20, 2011
Tags: auto expo, crore, fabre, footprint, french car maker, gujarat government, initial stage, joint venture, major cities, managing director, motors india, New Delhi, pca, peugeot, premier automobiles, segment, segments, showcased, small cars, sports coupe