Petrobras finds oil signs during deepwater explorationOctober 28th, 2010 - 12:45 pm ICT by IANS
Rio de Janeiro, Oct 28 (IANS/EFE) Brazilian state-controlled energy giant Petrobras said signs of oil found at in its first deepwater exploration well in the Sergipe-Alagoas Basin mark the opening of a new “exploratory frontier”.
The Rio de Janeiro-based company said the crude discovered in the Barra well of that basin, located off the coasts of the northeastern states of Sergipe and Alagoas, is similar in quality to the light oil currently extracted from the offshore Campos Basin, which accounts for the lion’s share of Brazil’s current hydrocarbons output.
Petrobras said in a statement that “large accumulations” were found in the distal portions of that basin, with volumes exceeding those discovered in the shallower Guaricema and Dourado fields.
“This is a new exploratory frontier. The information obtained thus far is sufficient to confirm the discovery of a new oil frontier in the Sergipe-Alagoas Basin,” the statement added.
The Barra well was drilled at a spot roughly 58 km off the coast of Sergipe state, at a water depth of 2,341 meters.
The deposit was found in the BM-SEAL-11 block, in which Petrobras is the operator and 60 percent stakeholder and IBV Brasil Petroleo - a unit of Bharat PetroResources Ltd. and Videocon Industries Ltd - owns the remaining 40 percent.
The pioneer well tested deposits in an area measuring almost 70 sq km, according to Petrobras, which said drilling will continue to sample older and deeper reservoirs.
The announcement of the discovery of the new frontier comes a week after Petrobras’ latest well test at the giant Tupi offshore field confirmed it holds between 5-8 billion barrels of oil equivalent.
Tupi was one of the first major finds in Brazil’s pre-salt cluster, so-named because the estimated 80 billion barrels of oil equivalent that area may contain are located deep below the ocean floor under a layer of salt up to 2 km thick.
Covering a 160,000 sq km area, the pre-salt finds could lead to a nearly six-fold increase in Brazil’s current proven reserves of 14 billion barrels and transform the South American nation into a major oil exporter.
Petrobras, which operates in 28 countries on five continents, is the world’s second-largest oil company by market capitalisation after carrying out a massive share offering in recent weeks.
Brazil’s largest company and one of the world’s fastest-growing oil firms in recent years, Petrobras produces an average of roughly 2.5 million barrels per day of oil and natural gas equivalent at its domestic and foreign fields.
- Brazil says offshore find holds high-grade oil - Aug 15, 2012
- Brazilian firm makes offshore crude find - Mar 21, 2012
- Brazilian firm makes deepwater oil find - Aug 27, 2012
- Brazilian firm announces new deepwater oil find - Apr 30, 2011
- Brazil announces offshore oil discovery - May 14, 2010
- Brazilian oil giant makes new deep-water find - Jul 13, 2012
- Brazil oil field's name changed to `Lula' - Dec 30, 2010
- Brazilian firm finds offshore oil, gas fields - Jul 06, 2011
- Chevron to cap, abandon leaking Brazil oil well - Nov 16, 2011
- Brazil's Petrobras announces deep-water oil find - Jan 27, 2011
- Brazil to auction new oil blocks in 2013 - Sep 20, 2012
- Brazilian firm approves $225 bn investment plan through 2015 - Jul 24, 2011
- Brazilian oil giant announces contracts worth $4.5 bn - Jul 21, 2012
- Greenpeace protests Chevron oil spill off Brazil - Nov 19, 2011
- Brazilian firm makes oil find - Feb 05, 2012
Tags: alagoas, bharat, brazilian state, campos basin, deepwater exploration, distal portions, dourado, energy giant, industries ltd, light oil, new frontier, new oil, northeastern states, ocean floor, offshore field, oil equivalent, rio de janeiro, sergipe, videocon industries, water depth